We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Feeling stressed

Hi. I'm really new on here and hope I have chosen the correct Forum. I hope someone can help and advise me.

I currently have travel insurance due to expire on 5 August. I have a holiday booked for October and the final balance is due to be paid on 22 July.

However, I am currently undergoing tests for cancer. I won't have the results back in time for the holiday payment but I may have the results back in time before 5 August.

I need to know should I pay the final balance on the holiday? Should I renew my travel insurance when the renewal is received or wait until 4 August and get quotes? Should I advise the travel insurance company now? Or is there anything else I should be doing.

Any help is much appreciated

Comments

  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 4,485 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    If you dont pay the balance on the holiday you will lose the deposit, totally disregardless of what the reason is assuming you havent a diagnosis by then

  • NorthernGuy
    NorthernGuy Posts: 55 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Travel Insurers don't like undiagnosed conditions, as they cannot assess the risk and so premium. In my experience they will blanket exclude everything related to that condition until it is diagnosed. So you'd be covered if say you were hit by a car, but not if your medical condition needed emergency treatment (or holiday cancellation); or likewise not if your condition caused the accident, e.g. fainting etc. Very sorry for your situation, I've been there myself, but insurance companies are businesses who must calculate risk, and yours is a 'don't know'.

    You have a duty to inform the insurer of all significant events whilst covered and also at renewal or they'll have a get-out if you don't.

  • Cressida100
    Cressida100 Posts: 369 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper

    Phone the company and ask them the question. I am paranoid about getting the right cover so I often phone up the company just to be on the safe side. They are usually quite helpful, well they were in my case.

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,118 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Only you can know if you're likely to be able to, or to want to, take the holiday. As noted above, by not paying thr balance you'll definitely lose any non-refundable money paid so far, so that's probably best avoided.

    You need to tell your insurer, depending on your policy terms you may be covered for cancellation on medical grounds until the policy expires so hopefully you get clarity before that.

    When your policy expires, depending on your diagnosis and treatment plan (if any) you may need to look at specialist insurers for cover for the holiday itself.

    Best of luck!

  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,302 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper

    Check your policy document or contact the company to establish if you need to advise them of any changes in your medical conditions. So you should be telling them about the tests if they do not already know.

    This may affect your cover.

    Most companies require you to tell them of any changes, although I believe Liverpool Victoria do not.

    You do need to tell them when you renew.

  • luci
    luci Posts: 6,468 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    LV are in the process of changing to Allianz. Whether they keep the same terms of not needing to advise them of new medical conditions until renewal is unknown at the moment.

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,226 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Any change could only happen at renewal, hence when you look on many sellers websites it will have multiple versions of their policies with a "if you bought your policy after 4 June 2026" type language against them

  • luci
    luci Posts: 6,468 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I meant the T&Cs may be changed, regarding when to advise them of changes in health, at renewal after the move to Allianz.

  • D1nglebay
    D1nglebay Posts: 3 Newbie
    Third Anniversary First Post

    Many thanks for your replies. Most helpful.

    I have called the insurance company and they have excluded everything relating to this condition, until it is diagnosed. Hopefully, the test results will come through quickly and I'll then call them again to update and get new quotes.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.