We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Co-Op Debit Card declining all online transactions, no blocks enabled

Anyone else having problems with using their Co-Op Debit card online recently?

I can still use the card in physical shops, but when I try to use it online, the transaction is declined, even to merchants I've used the card with before without any problems.

First noticed a couple of days ago when trying to make a deposit into the Family Building Society, but I put it down to a transient glitch and just gave up.

However, this evening, I tried to deposit funds into my National Lottery account, using the stored card details (proving they have accepted the card before!) - declined.

Went into Update Debit Card with the National Lottery and entered all the card details again manually - declined, couldn't re-add the card.

I then tried Cambridge Building Society (also done twice before with no problems) - declined.

Went into the app to check all the blocks were disabled, and they were, but I toggled them all on then back off again just to be sure (a mistake with the Gambling one as it won't disable the block for 48 hours, so I'm stuffed for the lottery now!)

I then tried NS&I (also done twice before with no problems) - declined.

Tried to phone them, but they go home at 6pm.

Just wondering if it's just me, or is anyone else having similar problems?

Comments

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,136 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    Ring them, could be a security check on card, as some fraudster has tried to use it online & been blocked. Which would not block in person purchases.

    Life in the slow lane
  • GeoffTF
    GeoffTF Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 23 June at 7:53AM

    I had a Barclaycard that did not work online. A spot of paint had worn off and a digit in the date read as a six rather than an eight. Ringing Barclaycard did not help. They said that the three digit code had been entered incorrectly, which was wrong.

  • muddymeadow
    muddymeadow Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post

    We had something similar when my wife's subs to Surfers Against Sewage didn't get paid.

    Over the next few days we found that Santander had frozen all our accounts with them (£119,000).

    They refuse to say why and still won't let us have our money after 4 months.

    I suggest don't keep your big money with the same bank as your current account's bank.

  • Hehaw2025
    Hehaw2025 Posts: 18 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    When was the last time you went to a physical atm and entered your pin? You could give that a try.

  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,753 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    The fact that nobody has chimed in with a "me too!" answer has effectively answered my question. It's specific to my account, not a wider issue.

    Thanks all.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.