We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Help finding an old pension

I was talked into taking out a private pension when I was around 18/19, I opted out of SERPS and I have contacted HMRC and they have given me the name of the pension it was paid in to but not the company. I called the goverment pensions tracing and they gave me a number which is not active. I have contacted ReAssure who seem to have taken over Guardian pensions which my scheme name appears to be one of and they have quickly searched their system and came back saying they have no record of the pension. I am wondering if there is anything else I can do to get this pension as I am looking to track down and consolidate all my pensions. I have searched everywhere and can't find any paperwork to prove anything. If I do an HMRC subject access request and have the document showing the name of where the SERPS went can I use that to push the company to do a better search? Has anyone had this situation and managed to get their pension?

Comments

  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 16,352 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 22 June at 4:19PM

    I have contacted HMRC and they have given me the name of the pension it was paid in 

    Please could you give the name of the pension. If you've got the full name, that normally identifies the provider. From the sound of it, you've got the name - Guardian - so not sure what else you're expecting when you say you weren't given the name of the company?

    If I do an HMRC subject access request and have the document showing the name of where the SERPS went can I use that to push the company to do a better search?

    Yes. Have a look at this (long!) thread and see my post of 15 May 2021:

    But…be aware that the way in which charges operated back then could often erode the 'pot' completely, so there may be nothing to find if the only contributions going in were NI rebates - which if you were on a low salary, would have been extremely small. If you then took a job where you joined a contracted out pension scheme, the rebates would have stopped automatically so these might only have continued for a short while, meaning the pot only ever had a tiny amount in it.

    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Alternatively wait until the Govt's pension dashboard comes on line (supposedly later this year although don't hold your breath) and if you are lucky the pension will appear on it.

  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,693 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    @Marcon Just in case the OP tries the link in your old post do you have a more up to date one? That link gets you a page saying Form not found.

  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 16,352 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Thank you! OP, try https://www.gov.uk/guidance/hmrc-subject-access-request (which is a lot more complicated and long winded than the online form which was available until recently…).

    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 16,352 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 22 June at 4:55PM

    The final connection deadline for schemes isn't until 31 October this year, so the dashboard is still some considerable way off and will be going through a lot of testing before it is operational and available for the general public to access.

    It may in any case not help OP if, as I suspect, fees have already eaten up the original pot.

    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.