We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Insurer refusing manufacturer‑approved repair on a car under warranty

245

Comments

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,086 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    Kia Accident Assist, is a 3rd party ambulance chaser leach. Best avoided. Nothing to do with Kia at all.

    What do you think you would lose warranty wise using ins repairer?

    Life in the slow lane
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,774 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    They've already answered that question.

    There are 3 years remaining on the Kia manufacturers warranty. If work is carried out on the car that isn't to the specification of an approved repairer, then it voids the warranty.

  • TWDave
    TWDave Posts: 20 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I've looked at those previously. It is going to be really difficult for me to arbitrate and confirm that the insurer is going to entirely comply with the requirements of preserving the warranty. What I would like, and I think is reasonable is for the insurer to state unequivocally that the warranty will be preserved and they will guarantee it in the scenario that Kia rejects a future claim based on this repair. Or, they get Kia to confirm in advance that they will honour the warranty in full if the insurer repairs the vehicle in the way the insurer wants to.

    Failing that the only way I can see that there can be zero risk to the warranty, is if it is repaired by a Kia approved repairer who Kia have already pre-approved to deal with these issues.

    Why should I accept the warranty is at risk when I am comprehensively insured, the car is under a standard warranty that any car of this type and age would have so this shouldn't be seen by the insurer as something to debate. If the insurer believes that repairing a car under warranty costs more, then they should quote more for the policy in the first place or decline to provide insurance to cars that are under manufacturer warranty.

  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,289 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper

    How did you decide on your insurer? Price?

  • XRS200
    XRS200 Posts: 385 Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    I think you said this

    all repairs are completed in accordance with the manufacturer’s approved repair methods and industry standards.”

    I can understand that the insurer won't give an unequivocal statement but the above would satisfy me.

  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 4,522 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    In view of the OP's stated concerns, the obvious insurer to choose would have been Kia Car Insurance

    https://kiamotorinsurance.co.uk/

    not least because they make much of claiming that all repairs are carried out 'at a Kia Approved Bodyshop using correct repair methods and performed by Kia recognised accredited technicians.' As far as I can tell no other motor insurer makes this undertaking.

    They cost a little more than some other insurers but not outrageously so. Their quote for my Kia Ceed is £47.64 a month (they didn't quote an annual premium). For comparison, my current annual premium with Allianz is £327.98

  • Okell
    Okell Posts: 3,931 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 22 June at 1:04PM

    I think unless the T&Cs of your policy say that your insurer will carry out repairs in such a way as not to void any manufacturer's guarantee, then you are stuck with your insurer's choice of repairer.

    You're asking your insurer an impossible question because they can't possibly know whether Kia will decide the work does or does not void their guarantee.

    You need to ask Kia as I'd have thought this question crops up a lot. (@born_again appears to be of the opinion that Kia Accident Assist are NOT the people to ask about this)

    I think the point of the warranty is to cover you against manufacturing etc "defects". Once you stray into accident/collision damage the warranty is at risk even if your insurance covers the accident/collision damage

  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,289 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper

    When our newish car was damaged Zurich agreed to the repair being done by an authorised repairer to maintain the anti corrosion bodywork warranty.

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    I don't think you are being unreasonable here, but equally I don't think either Kia or thr insurer are bing unreasonable either.

    You want to be sure that your warranty will be unaffected by the repair.

    Kia have stated the warranty will be ok as long as any repairs are done by them, or to an equivalent standard. They're never going to guarantee anything beyond that when they don't have control over the thirs party.

    The insurer have said:

    "all repairs are completed in accordance with the manufacturer’s approved repair methods and industry standards.”

    They are never going to guarantee anything beyond that as they have no control over what Kia may do or say in the future.

    Taking all these factors together, there's no reason to think Kia wouldnt honour a future warranty claim, but I don't think you will get the cast iron guarantee you are looking for.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.