We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Boiler Breakdown Insurance Recommends

I have used British Gas boiler central heating insurance for many years and its due to renew next month, I realised I have been paying top money for this but now it's got far too much. So any experiences of alternatives by people? My boiler Potterton is now 20+ years old so know that will go against me, I've seen quotes and prepared to go £20 a month but want a company that's reliable and do come out in quick time if the boiler conks out.

Comments

  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 3,124 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    I don't know what the prices are like but I've had quick attendance from SSE and Homeserve.

    You often get an introductory price so it's a good idea to switch it every year.

  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 9,578 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Rather than insure your very old boiler, how about replacing it? Boxt do finance on new boilers, and you will get a 7 year warranty on a new boiler. £20 per month for 7 years is nearly £1700, so it would cost you less than £1300 for a new boiler, new boilers being just under £3000 from Boxt.

    You will also save money on gas.

    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • luci
    luci Posts: 6,468 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 19 June at 7:33PM

    You would need to read the policy wording of any policy you are considering. There are some that won't cover a boiler over a certain age. The only boiler cover I've ever had was a 12 months policy for switching to BG. I vaguely remember that the policy only covered boilers up to 12 years old. However, there is no way on earth I would have allowed a BG fitter to touch my boiler, based on the experiences of friends and family. I used a local, independent plumber / heating engineer to fit a ne boiler last year. I had them back to service it last week, £65 + VAT.

    I have only ever had an extended warranty for a washing machine. I only bought that after the washer needed an engineer's visit in the first 12 months. The engineer said that, if it ever needed a PCB board, that would have been about half what I paid for the washer, and it wasn't cheap. I paid the warranty for a few years, then realised that, if I ever needed to claim, I would just be extending the age of an older and less efficient machine.

    What I've done is self-insure. I worked out how much an extended warranty would be for all my appliances, divided it by 12 and put that money into a separate account. In all that time, I've only ever needed a boiler repair, which wasn't that expensive. I've save thousands of pounds.

  • jaybeetoo
    jaybeetoo Posts: 1,614 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 19 June at 4:51PM

    Put what you spend on insurance into a savings account to be used when something goes wrong with your central heating. Find a local, qualified gas heating technician to carry out your annual service. You’ll probably save a fortune.


    Just work out how much you’ve paid in insurance over the years. You have probably paid more than enough for at least one new boiler and probably more!

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,125 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    Or how about a good local company to do servicing & any repairs required. Rather than paying for cover you may not need?

    Life in the slow lane
  • poseidon1
    poseidon1 Posts: 3,652 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    Frankly @tacpot12's suggestion of a new boiler replacement makes sense.

    I put up with a 25 year old potterton that was forever breaking down, used inordinate amount of gas when it did work, and was intrusively noisy in operation ( a combi boiler).

    Bit the bullet in 2022 and swapped it out for a very efficient A- Vaillant combi. The difference in gas usage, speed of heating up radiators and curtailment of noise has been transformative. Happy to pay between £80 to £90 for an annual clean and inspection.

  • luci
    luci Posts: 6,468 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    What about asking on a local Facebook group for recommendations?

    I needed a contractor to lay new gravel and slabs in the front garden and lay a new drive. I got quite a few suggestions and got quotes from 3 that were mentioned by more than one person.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.