We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Chargeback or S75
I just wanted to make sure I was making the right claim.If a company has taken 3 payments instead of just one is it a chargeback and not a S75 claim? Company is still trading and is reputable but a bit clueless about finance.
Paid on a credit card, 2 payments show on one day and one on the next day. My bank states all 3 payments were taken, the company's own IT people say that all 3 were taken but in a strange manner but owner can only see 1 payment and has told me to go and get the bank to call the other 2 back . This has been ongoing now for around 10 days . My bank are aware and I'm awaiting a call back and wanted to make sure I say the right sort of claim.
Thank you
Comments
-
You may not even need to make that decision
If it were me I would simply tell the bank there are two erroneous payments and could they please be refunded - the bank will then decide how they handle it but almost certainly will just do a chargeback
1 -
Most banks dont give you a choice, they allow you to raise a "dispute" and then they decide if Chargeback or S75 is the more appropriate. If both are applicable then generally a chargeback is done first given its got much shorter timescales and so would allow a S75 to be considered afterwards whereas if you did a S75 first the chances are you are timed out for a chargeback by the time its considered.
For the same reasons, Chargeback
1 -
How much are the payments for?
If under £100 I don't think you have a S75 claim.
0 -
Once what the OP owes to the company is over £100 and no more than £30k they are covered by S75, even if only 1p of the amount is paid by credit card.
Edit: I am assuming here it's a product or service, but it may not be.
0 -
My bank have initiated a chargeback for both payments, the money will apparently be in my account within 5 working days and I did get the warning that recipient has 60 days to dispute the chargeback and if they are successful the funds will be taken again.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.0 -
Single items of £100 or more, not total bill, and it's highly unlikely they paid 1p on CC and the rest elsewhere - so while correct, probably moot
Sam Vimes' Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness:
People are rich because they spend less money. A poor man buys $10 boots that last a season or two before he's walking in wet shoes and has to buy another pair. A rich man buys $50 boots that are made better and give him 10 years of dry feet. The poor man has spent $100 over those 10 years and still has wet feet.
0 -
I agree but what is the amount of the payments - the OP has not stated this?
0 -
Yes, after reading again I realise it may not be an item or service, but a combination of products and/or services each of which may or may not have values of over £100. So not really possible to say without that information. The 1p example was just a rather extreme example, not suggesting they did this.
0 -
To clarify , a chargeback has been started and is in hand. I’d completely forgotten the £100 bit for S75 and neither payment was £100 or over so the chargeback was appropriate.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

