We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Switching banks. Anytime of month?

we looking at switching joint from halifax to santander. Is there a good time do thir or does it not matter?


our bills come out 22nd month. Some 1st of every month

Thanks

«1

Comments

  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 5,273 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Your DD payments will be moved to your new account when you switch so it should be fairly seemless regardless of when you tell Santander to complete your switch. It could be worth selecting a switch date after the 1st just to rule out the possibility of something going awry for next month's bill but it ultimately really shouldn't matter.

  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 19,442 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    our bills come out 22nd month. Some 1st of every month

    Personally I would try to avoid a switch near any payments if possible. I've had one before where the payment was shown as being paid from my old account but actually was paid from the new. I thought it had been paid twice but in the end the old payment never took place despite being shown on my account.

    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • blue.peter
    blue.peter Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I find it mildly inconvenient that my income arrives in my 123 account around the same time as the interest and cashback are calculated. In order to meet the minimum monthly income requirement, a couple of times a year I have to move my pension out to a non-Santander savings account and then back a few days later. (Normally, I get paid at the end of the month, but it's earlier in December and January.)

    I know that the 123 is no longer available, but this might be relevant if your new account has a minimum monthly credit requirement and it's based on the start date of your account.

  • blue.peter
    blue.peter Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    OK, let's go through my actual experiences in late 2024 and early 2025.

    I opened my account on the 20th of a month. The 20th is therefore what Santander call the "monthly anniversary" of my account. My monthly fee is collected on that day, and my interest and cashback get paid then. One of the qualifications for the interest and cashback is that "You must pay at least £500 into your account every month. This is not a calendar month, it is the monthly anniversary from the date you
    opened/transferred your account." (Quoted from the account Key Features.)

    So I've got to ensure that I receive at least £500 to that account between 20th of one month and 20th of the next month from outside Santander. This shouldn't be a problem, given that my pension is over £500 a month and it's due at the end of each calendar month. However, the scheme actually pays the December and January instalments early. (This reflects my former employer's salary arrangements. The idea is that staff get some extra money before Christmas and the same is done in January, so that January isn't an overly long month.)

    Anyway, my pension actually arrived in my account on:

    • 27 November 2024
    • 20 December 2024
    • 17 January 2025
    • 26 February 2025

    So, unless I took action, I'd double-qualify in one month and fail to qualify in February. (It didn't matter whether the 20 December payment counted for December or January: that only affects which month has the double qualification.)

    What I actually did was to move the bulk of my December pension (over £500!) out to a building society on 20 December and back again on 30 December. I then did the same again between 17 and 31 January.

    I have to remember to ensure that I have an significant amount of money coming in between the relevant dates if I'm not to pay the £4 monthly fee for no gain. I have to watch when I get paid, and take action if necessary. As I said, it's only a minor inconvenience, but an inconvenience nonetheless.

    I don't expect that your income payment dates will vary by as large a period as mine, but there might be some fluctuation. Supposing that your salary (or whatever) is due at the end of the month. In this case, you might prefer not to have your monthly anniversary on, say, the 30th, since January's will be due on the 31st and February's on 28th/29th. Bear in mind also that weekends and public holidays can affect actual payment dates.

  • gerrard88
    gerrard88 Posts: 185 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    makes sense thanks


    But guess the switch takes time to complete so it would be ok doing it like now?
    even if money comes out on Monday

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,074 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    But guess the switch takes time to complete so it would be ok doing it like now?

    Current account switching takes seven working days.

  • blue.peter
    blue.peter Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I think that what matters here is the date on which the account is opened, and not the date on which the switch completes. But I'm not certain. If it makes a difference, I suggest checking with Santander.

  • blue.peter
    blue.peter Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    That's seven working days from when the receiving bank starts the process. The bank won't always start the process immediately. I recall doing a switch to The Co-operative Bank some years ago. The earliest start date for the process that they offered me was about two weeks after I requested it. It therefore didn't complete until about three weeks later.

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,074 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Yes, the process itself takes seven working days but that doesn't imply that it can start immediately!

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.