We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Car fire

I’m looking for advice as I don’t know where to turn, seem like I am getting no where and need some advise.

I purchased a car on finance on the 26/5. On the 28/5 whilst driving the car smoke started coming from the engine and within minutes the whole car was up in flames and now a complete write off.

I rejected the car under the consumer rights act 2015 as I was advised however things haven’t been simple.


My finance company requested an engineers report which I got from my insurer and send to them. The finance company responded to the email directing me back to my insurer because they now need a forensic report and said there is nothing they can do until I have this report.


my insurance company then advised me that they do not conduct the forensic report and have told me to go back to my finance company. 

I decided to cut my losses and claim through the insurance as I am now without a car, whilst still paying for the finance and insurance for a car I do not have and with three young children I need a car.

The insurance company has advised me that they can’t proceed with my claim until they have a forensic report and have referred it back to my finance company who need to obtain one from the dealer.

they have told me that there is no time frame on this and it takes as long as it takes which could be weeks/months.


Does anyone has any advice on any other steps I can take next? Like I say I’m still paying for the car and insurance and me and my family are the ones suffering. I literally had the car for 48 hours.


Thank you

Comments

  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 7,256 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Why start another thread, your existing one is still open:

  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,811 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    don't think they knew I had moved it and someone else had suggested that it might be ok to duplicate. I'll close this one to avoid further confusion.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.