We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Soft credit check turned to be HaARD credit check

Good afternoon,

I used the MSE yesterday to check my eligibility for a new credit card. I clicked on 'soft credit check,' and it turns out that this was a hard credit check, as I received credit alerts from my bank. I filled out one form to check my eligibility, but MSE used seven different banks to search my eligibility. I was not aware that this would show up on my credit report.

I am quite disappointed, given this was suggested to be a soft credit report check and would not affect my credit report!

I am really disappointed. I didn't think the MSE system would do that! As I have always used your site for all my financial needs, and nothing like this has happened to me before, especially as I haven't even applied for a new credit card yet.

Comments

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,142 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    You will often receive alerts after a soft credit search. The search is invisible to other lenders though, and has no impact on your credit file.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,487 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    What do you mean by "credit alerts from my bank"? What did the notification actually say?

    You may receive alerts for a soft search from a credit reference agency you are registered with.

    Have you actually had notification of a "hard search" or seen such a search on your credit report?

    Maybe someone from MSE will confirm but I don't think the credit card eligibility checker instigates a hard search anywhere, pretty sure it doesn't have enough information to do so in any case.

  • The_Groat_Counter
    The_Groat_Counter Posts: 746 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 18 June at 5:22PM

    I used the MSE yesterday to check my eligibility for a new credit card. I clicked on 'soft credit check,' and it turns out that this was a hard credit check, as I received credit alerts from my bank. […]

    Except it was not a hard credit check, it was a soft one. The alerts that get sent out happen for both soft and hard credit checks.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.