We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Estate agent contract advice

2»

Comments

  • Hamiltonc
    Hamiltonc Posts: 128 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    So the majority (if not all) private buyers I started speaking to prior to going with this agent. I can add those names to our contract, agent confirmed this earlier on this evening
    We would only progress a private buyer not anyone who viewed or was introduced by the agent. Anyone they introduced, if they approached me privately, I'd go back to the agent
    So what's the best way if we have a private buyer who makes us an offer?

  • Hamiltonc
    Hamiltonc Posts: 128 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    We would only go with a private buyer not someone they introduced. If someone they introduced came to me I'd go back through the agent

    So how do we go about a private buyer should we get an offer from them?

  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 18,775 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 17 June at 11:20PM

    Hamiltonc said

    So the majority (if not all) private buyers I started speaking to prior to going with this agent. I can add those names to our contract, agent confirmed this earlier on this evening
    We would only progress a private buyer not anyone who viewed or was introduced by the agent. Anyone they introduced, if they approached me privately, I'd go back to the agent

    So it sounds like you need to provide the new agent with 2 lists, and ask the new agent to agree to the following:

    "The following people have been introduced privately, so if they approach you, you agree to refer them back to me:

    • Mr A
    • Mr B
    • Mr C

    The following people were introduced by the previous estate agent, so if they approach you, you agree to refer them back to the previous estate agent:

    • Mr D
    • Mr E
    • Mr F

    And you agree that no fee would be payable to you, if anyone from either list eventually buys the property"

    Hamiltonc said

    So how do we go about a private buyer should we get an offer from them?

    In your position, I would do the following: if the private buyer was a trusted friend, I might take things forward myself.

    But if it's a 'stranger', I'd probably tell them to deal with the estate agent.

  • mta999
    mta999 Posts: 766 Forumite
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 18 June at 5:15PM

    If you have already signed the agreement then they have sole selling rights. Unless they agree (which they won't) then there is no 'exclusion list'

    If you get a private buyer, ie one not introduced by them, then you still have to pay them commission. That is what sole selling rights means.

    If you haven't signed then of course everything is up.for negotiation.

  • treechoc
    treechoc Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post

    Hello, I have two questions: 1. is the wording below that has been ticked on my contract - could someone please tell me exactly waht it means? I am confused!

    "Sole Selling rights - You will be liable to pay the above fees (plus any other agreed costs) in the event of an unconditional exchange of contracts for the sale of the property during the period of this agreement even if the purchaser was not introduced by us but by another estate agent or any other person including yourself or after the expiry of the period during which we which we have sole selling rights but to a purchaser introduced to you during that period or with whom we had negotiations about the property during that period."

    And also 2. I have signed up to a 20 week contract and I understand that I can give 28 days notice to terminate the contract - presume I should do this 28 days prior to the end date - does anyone have any wording for this termination letter and can it be done by email? any help or guidance appreciated

  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 18,775 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    treechoc said

    Hello, I have two questions: 1. is the wording below that has been ticked on my contract - could someone please tell me exactly waht it means? I am confused!

    It's best not hijack somebody else's thread, because it causes confusion. It's better to start your own thread.

  • mta999
    mta999 Posts: 766 Forumite
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 20 June at 1:02PM
    1. This means you have to pay them commission however the house is sold where the by them or whether by you to one of your friends for example. You also have to pay them commission if you sell it to somebody they introduced even after you have given notice and left them.
    2. Yes you can give notice 28 days before the end so that you leave them after the minimum tie in of 20 weeks. A quick email should be fine
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.