We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Deed of Consent

Hello all,

Jst need a second opinion on this.

I am currently living in a friend's house, awaiting to move to a house me and my partner put an offer on already! My current friend / landlord owns the house, and they ar ein the process of getting a new mortgage. Due to this, the lender has asked for me (lodger) to sign a deed of consent to basically agree to move out if house needs to be repossessed. I am not too bother about that, as that's common practice by lenders, so I am happy to sign the deed as I am planning to move out over the next few months. Is there anything else I should consider? Otherwise I don't see a reason not to sign the document.

Comments

  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,808 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Are you renting the house from your friend? I've never heard of a tenant having to do this, not a lodger either. Maybe I've led a sheltered life.

    But to me your contract is with your friend and your friend is the person that has (or will have) a contract with the bank. I'd say it wouldn't matter what you sign as it's no guarantee that you will leave no matter what happens.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • Leakingtile79
    Leakingtile79 Posts: 26 Forumite
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Hello Brie,

    Thanks for your reply. I never had to do it before neither, but this is due to remortgaging the house while having a lodger living there too.

  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 19,959 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 17 June at 8:02PM

    It is normal (in England & Wales) where there are adult occupiers other than the borrowers at the time the mortgage is granted.

    I suppose the obvious thing to point out is that if you start getting difficult about signing it, you'll probably need to find somewhere else to live quickly!

  • whizzywoo
    whizzywoo Posts: 838 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I think it's fairly normal in England. Many years ago we remortgaged our family home and our adult son (aged 18) was still living at home. He had to sign one but not our daughter who was only 12.

    "All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  :) 
  • poseidon1
    poseidon1 Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    List of lenders requiring over 17s to consent - its pretty much all the banks -

    https://lendershandbook.ukfinance.org.uk/lenders-handbook/englandandwales/question-list/1956/

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.