We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Crash involving a Motability car, their insurers (Direct Line) & Proximo

Guss
Guss Posts: 138 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
edited 16 June at 6:18PM in Disability money matters

I was involved in a car crash a couple of weeks ago and the other driver's insurer, Admiral admitted liability and offered to take care of everything later that same day. It was a low speed crash and not serious. My partner who is registered disabled and has the car under Motability was advised by Direct Line which is the insurer for Motability against Admiral taking over the claim and to instead let them take care of everything so we declined and felt assured by the friendly Direct Line agent everything would be taken care of. Incidentally both air bags deployed and we've discovered since it's likely the car could be written off due to this. We were surprised at this since it's only done 8K miles and is only 2 years old but this has yet to be confirmed.

The reason for this post is what ensued. After a week the car was picked up and we got a replacement from Proximo, we got this within the 48 hours. My partner enjoys her independence so on her days off work she will use the car to see friends and attend appointments so having a car which is adapted and has the auto features really makes this possible. The car we received whilst it has the push/pull brake/accelerator did not have the auto driver's seat but more importantly also didn't have the auto boot. This is a real problem for her as getting her wheelchair in and out of the boot means struggling and I mean really struggling to open and close the boot and has nearly involved her falling on one occasion. I am not exaggerating here. Even I, an able bodied person find the boot a bit heavy to open and close.

When my partner followed this up and fully explained the issues she was having Direct Line sympathised but told her she would need to follow this up with Proximo who provide the replacement vehicles. Proximo then in turn also sympathised and said they don't provide any cars with an auto boot. Okay hang on a mo, this is the leading provider of Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles in the UK and Proximo are a partner of the Motability Scheme yet they don't provide cars with auto boots!!

When I Googled Proximo part of the blurb that came up was as follows:

Proximo is the UK's leading independent provider of temporary replacement Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles (WAVs) and adapted vehicles. They partner directly with the Motability Scheme to provide replacement travel if your primary adapted vehicle is off the road for more than 48 hours.

Forget all the other features, apart from the push/pull brake/accelerator of course but an auto boot you would think would be essential for any wheelchair user. I don't get it. I'm not sure where we go from here because whatever happens with the car i.e. repair or write off we will be relying on a replacement for at least a couple of months I would think. I am very angry about this situation, yes everyone is sympathetic, for a few seconds, but you get the feeling they ultimately don't care as nothing changes for her in the end.

Comments

  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 101,324 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Mortgage-free Glee!

    Not sure I can offer anything in the way of advice. However I just want to say I hear you. If you don’t get any resolution I suggest you contact Andrew Miller who is the CEO of Motability operations.

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.[/b] [11 months left.[/b]
  • Guss
    Guss Posts: 138 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 101,324 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Mortgage-free Glee!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.[/b] [11 months left.[/b]
  • Guss
    Guss Posts: 138 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    We sent emails to Proximo and Motability (the email address you supplied) regarding the issues I raised and we've since got a car which is more suitable but it took 4 weeks and two denials from Proximo that they could supply such a car before she got one that was suitable. Motability have taken the points of concern on board and I believe did show interest and how we were treated by Proximo and the fact 4 weeks after the crash we are still none the wiser as to whether we are facing a write-off or a repair. Neither are appealing tbh.

    Thank you for your help :)

  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 101,324 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Mortgage-free Glee!

    Glad to be able to help. 4 weeks & no resolution is dire.

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.[/b] [11 months left.[/b]
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.