We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Royal Mail redirect
A couple of months ago I moved from house A to house B and set up a Royal Mail redirect. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I'm now moving again to another house (house C) next month. I'm therefore looking to redirect post from both houses A and B to house C so I don't miss anything. Has anyone else been in a similar situation and, if so, how did you go about setting this up?
2022 wins: £200 That's Life Prize Pointers competition
2024 wins: 2 Euro 2024 Hellman's bucket hats
2025 wins: £300 Belfast shopping voucher
2026 wins: £5 Aldi voucher
Comments
-
Haven't done it myself but I presume you follow the "What if I move again during the time covered by the Redirection?" guidance given on Royal Mail's website:
https://help.royalmail.com/personal/s/article/Moving-home-redirection-support-hub
1 -
Yes we did this but don't rely too much on Royal Mail to get things right. They redirected stuff to the wrong address frequently and very often didn't redirect at all. If you are expecting anything important like hospital appointments make sure they have an up to date address for you.
It turned into a bit of a nightmare for us and eventually after my husband actually went into the sorting office things did improve … well, a little bit.
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."
1 -
In practice, the redirection is only going to be as reliable as your (old) postie is, as it's their responsibility to do it while sorting their round. So if you were in the sort of area where the post gets delivered by random temps, it's unlikely to work very well - always best to try to get the new residents to assist with anything which slips through.
1 -
Can I second the bit about hospital appointments. Appointment letters sometimes have “Do Not Redirect” printed on the envelope.
I nearly lost a referral when I moved - I couldn’t tell the hospital because, at the time, I didn’t know where the referral had been sent. I contacted the dentist who had referred me and they sorted it out.1 -
I moved from property A to property B, then a couple of months later I moved to property C. Royal Mail were fine with the redirections.
1 -
Thanks all - the post at house A was temperamental at times (2nd class letters taking two weeks to be delivered etc) so I'll make sure anything important has an up-to-date address. Thanks user1977 for the link to the website too!
2021 wins: £25 My Weekly Missing Link; £50 The Sun Sports Quiz
2022 wins: £200 That's Life Prize Pointers competition
2024 wins: 2 Euro 2024 Hellman's bucket hats
2025 wins: £300 Belfast shopping voucher
2026 wins: £5 Aldi voucher0 -
Bear in mind too that Royal Mail will only redirect their own stuff, not mail from other carriers such as UKMail. Considering it's RM guys who do the final delivery anyway I don't know whether it's some sort of petty bureaucratic revenge for being undercut on price, but it's something to watch out for and makes the redirection service a bit of a white elephant. You're always better changing your details with banks, mobile phone cos. etc directly, even if it's a bit more hassle.
1 -
Yes I have
We ended up moving twice during lockdowns in early 2021 due to failed house purchase. Ended up paying for 3 RM redirections: 1 from ‘home’ in Shropshire to temp accom in Wales. 1 from Wales to new home in Shropshire & 1 from old to new home.
IIRC it was quite expensive as we didn’t know how long we’d be in Wales, and also used to get occasional mail for my son, different surname, working abroad at the time. It worked ok though. At least we’re not aware of having missed anything important.Good luck
1 -
Not true. Royal Mail will redirect anything that doesn't say "Do Not Redirect" along with letters from the DWP. UKMail and all other DSA post is treated the same by front line staff (what managers do is a different story). Yes, redirect relies on the postie to pick the letters out when sorting his/her round, and casual staff are more likely to miss the stuff. Mistakes happen.
Any language construct that forces such insanity in this case should be abandoned without regrets. –
Erik Aronesty, 2014
Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


