We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Alternative to American Express card
I have had an Amex card for a few years, but find it is so often not accepted, I would recommend people think carefully about getting an Amex card because you will need another way of paying so many times… so I am looking for another credit card that also gives rewards. Are there any best or favourites here on the forum?
Comments
-
0
-
One thing to consider is that if you current non-Amex card is Visa then make sure your 2nd card is Mastercard, and vice versa. In the unlikely event one network is down then you can use the other card. Also advisable to the have the 2nd card from a different provider to the provider for your first card. Again if systems are down you have an alternative. For example Natwest have both Visa and Mastercard credit cards. Some of them are reward cards but whether they are suitable for you is for you to decide.
1 -
Having Amex refused now and again is just part of life. Amex pay better rewards than most other providers.
When I was on the rewards train I'd always present my Amex first, but have a second card ready in case it was refused.
(I'm now off the rewards train and onto the stoozing bus instead 😀 )
N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.0 -
I keep an Amex Nectar for those few occasions when I make a large purchase which would blow the monthly cashback limit on other cards - although my Lloyds Ultra is also limitless.
Probably time to consider if the annual fee is covered by the cashback (and occasional discount), I suspect not.
1 -
I have an Amex platinum Cashback card, always use it online or via PayPal. Easily cover the yearly fee to make it worthwhile. I have other cards available when Amex isn’t an option.
0 -
I tried this with MBNA. Guess who is now moving to Visa?!
0 -
It becomes a very personal thing, looking on my statements I've only had to use a non-AmEx card 4 times this year in the UK with all other card transactions on AmEx. Of those 4 one of those companies now accepts AmEx again (they had previously accepted but stopped for a couple of years after switching the POS)
Even our local Big Issue seller and local Sunday Market traders takes AmEx as they use the likes of SumUp or Zettle/PayPalPOS
Personally use a Barclaycard Avios for those 4 transactions as I convert most my MR to Avios anyway but prefer the flexibility and no expiry option of MR
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


