We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Property Adjustment Order - Council Tenancy

I split up with my ex-husband and we are now divorced.

I moved out of the property whilst he stayed there.

The council have said they will not remove my name from the tenancy without a Property Adjustment Order. A couple of solicitors I have contacted have quoted close to £1,000 to do this - this is quite a lot of money for me to find.

Is there a cheaper method? We have no assets to divide, I just want my name removed from a tenancy I am no longer involved with.

Comments

  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 7,544 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Do you have a financial order as part of the divorce?

  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 38,268 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 26 June at 6:54PM

    They want that so that your ex can carry on staying there.

    I may be wrong, but I thought that any joint tenant could end the tenancy of their own accord, even if it’s a local authority. Which could potentially leave your ex liable to eviction because that ends the tenancy completely.

    I don’t think they can stop you from doing it that way, unless anyone else here knows differently.

    So would your ex be up for stumping up some money so he can stay there without any more hassle?

    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

    Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,860 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!

    I would approach your local councillor (the one whos ward covers the address)

    If you look onyour Council website their information should be there.

    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.