We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Insuring an additional car?

I'm looking for some tips on motor insurance because I'm thinking about getting a second vehicle. I’ve accumulated over 9 years of no claims discount (NCD) on my current car, which I plan to keep. Since I can't transfer that NCD to the new vehicle, should I just get quotes and indicate zero no claims? Or is there a possibility of getting a discount for insuring both cars?

Comments

  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 7,717 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I usually fill in the comparison sites and they ask if you have another car and how much NCD you have for that car

    I have done this a couple of times in insuring small cars for me to supervise the offspring in learning to drive. On both occasions the quotes were low despite the lack of NCD for the new car

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,226 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Max NCD can be worth under 20% discount these days, gone are the days its a 80% discount like it used to be - its always been a bit of a farce as the vast majority of people have max NCD so the idea that you are selling almost all your product at a 80% discount is silly.

    Simply do quotes, both individual policies with one car with 0 ncd and a multi-car policy. Either could turn out cheaper as multicar discounts dont tend to be that high and can easily be offset by just a different insurer favouring some aspect of the different car.

    Many automatically apply an NCD like discount for customers who are otherwise a good risk and simply dont have an NCD to use on the vehicle.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.