We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Expensive car supplement for car in first year ..

scf67
scf67 Posts: 3 Newbie
First Post

I am looking at an EV car which is 3 months old which , when new, would have been over £50k.
The car has been registered by the dealer which means I would become the second owner.

As I understand it - in year 1 the road tax (EV) is £10 - therefore I would only pay for the balance in year 1.
From year 2 this would rise to £200 PLUS £440 expensive car supplement up to the 6th year.

The dealer says that I would need to start paying the second year rate now (despite being 3 months old).

I can’t find anything which clearly clarifies this online. So would be grateful for anyone who could clarify and point me in the right direction.

If the dealer is right does this mean I still have to pay until the 6th year? If that’s the case then it would mean nearly 6 year paying the supplement and not 5.

Thanks for any / all help 👍

Comments

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,148 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    I believe that, although the ved guidelines talk about year 1, year 2 etc, that really applies to a single owner. In the govt guidance, it says that you will pay the higher rate when you renew your ved. As it's not transferable between owners, you are effectively renewing the VED as if it's year 2, and so need to pay the higher rate even though the car is only 3 months old..

  • scf67
    scf67 Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post

    Thanks for the comment (Woodstok2000). Does that mean that I would pay the supplement for 5 year 9 months ( up to year 6) or will this reduce a the end of the 5 year period (if I’m paying the supplement from 3 months old rather than from the beginning of year 2) ? - hope this makes sense !?

  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,309 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper

    Buy 2026- you pay year2

    Renew 2027 - you pay year 3

    Renew 2028- you pay year 4

    Renew 2029 you pay year 5

    Renew 2030. - you pay year 6

  • scf67
    scf67 Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post

    Many thanks for your comments. Nice to have some clarification. So it looks like I’ll be paying the supplement for 4yr 9 months which makes sense.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.