We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Will my plants survive while I’m away on holiday?

BridgetTheCat
BridgetTheCat Posts: 314
100 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! First Anniversary Photogenic
Forumite

l’m a novice gardener, just trying a few new plants in containers every year. This year I have strawberries, which seem to be ripening one fruit at a time, and dahlias which are growing happily in their pots but not flowering yet.

I’m going on holiday on Saturday for 2 weeks. There’s someone coming in daily to look after the cat, but she’s recovering from major surgery and I wouldn’t ask her to water the garden.

What can I do to give my plants the best chance of survival while I’m away?

«1

Comments

  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 15,904
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Move them into a shaded area, but open to the sky so they will get any rain while you are away.

    Give them a very good soaking before you go

    Member of "Rubbish at Radishes" club
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,359
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Yes shade is the best answer. Especially if you have a cool side to the house.

    I have been known to bring some pots into the house and, with a mat, stand in bath or shower. It's usually cooler there.n

    One suggestion I haven't tried is to use an old plastic bottle with the cap on. Make small holes around it, fill two thirds with water, put cap back on. Sink below holes and it will slowly seep out.

    Or stand in deep trays filled with water and let it seep up as needed. A heatwave will evaporate it though.

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 24,113
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    edited 15 June at 5:33PM

    As above, soak them before you go and put them into shade. They'll be fine

    It's not like there is due to be a heatwave

  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 38,278
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Neighbouring child comes and does mine for pocket money.
    Even if you soak them before you go and put them in the shade, if it’s hot, they’re going to really struggle,

    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

    Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.
  • Sapindus
    Sapindus Posts: 831
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Also, pack them close together and site out of wind if possible to limit evaporation.

  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 7,545
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    As a patio gardener who likes to travel, my strategy is:

    1)plants that can take being dried out... I don't grow fruit or things like dahlias as these are thirsty plants that need daily watering (sorry). I grow fuchsias, salvias, jasmine...

    2)using bigger pots with water reservoirs, giving them a thorough soaking and ensuring the reservoirs are as full as possible before I go

    3)drip watering using empty wine bottles filled with water and feed and terracotta nozzles so it seeps out. I have considered doing a proper setup with a drip hose before... But haven't pulled the trigger on that one.

    4) moving plants to the shadier side of the garden where possible.

    5) Mulching pots with bark

    When I return, the first thing I do is check the plants and water them.

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,685
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Depends on when the OP goes on holiday and where they are located

    If you are almost anywhere from Birmingham downwards, the forecast for the next two weeks is for virtually no rain and an average daily high of 27 degrees ( some days 30).

    So even with all the precautions mentioned, most plants will need watering at least three times in these conditions ideally more.

  • Sapindus
    Sapindus Posts: 831
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Another thought then, cover with horticultural fleece, again to limit evaporation and keep sun and wind off.

  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 7,788
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Sorry they are not going to survive the heat.

    I make a choice in the summer: baskets or time away from home. Baskets win every time and so do I.

    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

    So much to read, so little time.
  • Mrs_Z
    Mrs_Z Posts: 1,173
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite

    Agree with the others, move plants to shade or semi-shade depending on your situation. Give them a good soak before leaving. One week should be fine, depending on the size of the containers (small ones will dry out faster). You could also try capillary matting (Google if you are not familiar). I haven’t tried it myself but I can see that it could be a solution for houseplants at least!

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.