We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
DVLA letter following medical episode
Hi all
About 6 weeks or so ago I inadvertently took too much of a certain medicine and it caused me to black out / have a mild seizure. It didn't last very long and I was fine afterwards but in the midst of it all an ambulance got called. They wanted to take me to hospital and asked for the name of my GP but I politely declined both.
It's never happened before and I know 100% that taking too much of this medication was the sole cause of it. I thought no more of it until yesterday, when I received a letter and 'FEP1D' questionnaire from DVLA headed with 'We have been told by a 3rd party that you may have a health condition that could affect your ability to drive safely and we need to make medical enquiries' - I think the ambulance people must have notified them.
The cheeky b—-ds didn't even include a reply-paid envelope, but this questionnaire says it needs to be filled in and returned within 21 days of its date (05/06/26) and on Monday I am going abroad for a month. Failure to do so may result in my licence being revoked.
Has anyone had any experience of this FEP1D? And, if yes, how have you handled it?
Comments
-
Not had a FEPD1D but self reported a Brain Tumour.
DVLA arranged for an Eye Test and spoke with my consultant.
Given the all clear.
Op - better to be safe than sorry - fill the form in.
Never pay on an estimated bill. Always read and understand your bill2 -
Yes, dead easy, fill it out and send it back, takes about 10 minutes so you could easily do it before you leave.
DVLA will review and then advise next steps if any.
2 -
Complete and return it before you go away. If you don't your licence will be suspended. You had a seizure you need to report it
2 -
Yes, and it is quite likely that your actions in withholding reasonably requested information will have made the Ambulance Service particularly acute to the need to alert DVLA promptly.
DVLA also have faster procedures to reinstate (if, indeed, the event requires the licence to be withdrawn) a licence for those that voluntarily self-reported an issue than those that have to be chased by DVLA.
4 -
cheeky. IMAO You are the cheeky one for not reporting it yourself. It's your legal obligation to report and a very moral duty not to put other road users at risk due to your health. This coming from someone with epilepsy who is legally allowed to drive but I choose not to put others at risk because my last 2 breakthrough seizures were in the day time, each time I had to self report and hand my licence in.
2026 wins - Parker Pen American Sweets bundle 2x dish magic bundle NEU shots & a NEU training T-shirt ToeZone Shoes Worth £32
5 -
Think about it, if that happened while you were driving, you could have klld or severly injured someone (even if in this case, you weren't driving, they don't know why you're on these meds and for how long, nor have any reason to trust you won't accidentally overdose again). They had an obligation to report it for everyone's safety. You might want to research if the form can be filled in online.
I'm FTB, not an expert, all my comments are from personal experience and not a professional advice.Mortgage debt start date 11/2024 = 175k (5.19%)... Q1/2026 = PAID (3.94%)1 -
Yep, all fair enough. Will fill form out and send in.
Thanks all.
1 -
With this done I hope you're more likely to enjoy your time away.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK
"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.” Nellie McClung
⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

