We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Online conveyancing

13»

Comments

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,619 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    A family member bought a house last year using a 'normal' solicitors office, but one that was 200 miles away.

    They came highly recommended and were 25% cheaper ( based in a lower cost area). Also they responded to the initial enquiry for a quote very quickly, ( unlike some local ones) which was a good sign. Everything done on line, but they had a regular contact person and the actual solicitors e mail if needed. They were very good.

  • Chief_of_Staffy
    Chief_of_Staffy Posts: 494 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Online solicitors are themselves online. 'Online' doesn't refer to their services. They have no physical 'high street' presence. In addition, most of them have no relevant qualifications and no local knowledge.

  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 48,008 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I wouldn't use an online conveyancer, but that's mostly because when we sold my late parents' house I used a solicitor near me who I happen to know personally. Yes, I'm sure I could have done it cheaper, but I wouldn't have been able to check in with him on the train on our way to work … (he would offer any updates he had, or I'd ask if it was OK to talk shop on the train …)

    If he wasn't available, I'd try to get another personal recommendation.

    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • mlz1413
    mlz1413 Posts: 3,212 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I used an online conveyancing company in 2024 and would highly recommend them. (Chadwick Lawrence)

    The high street solicitors used by the other two in the chain were no better than ours and we paid half the amount of a local solicitor.

    I would say ALL conveyancing regardless of who you use is slow.

    It's a highly stressful time and each solicitor/conveyor blames the other so it's hard to know if any are worse than the other.

    In my chain the buyer of our house was using a friends company as they thought that would help. I don't think they remained friends as all their instructions were ignored.

    The lady I was buying from was using the solicitor I have used the last twice, local company been around over 20 years, and being on the other end of the process was an absolute eye opener and I will never use them again.

    Each solicitor blamed my conveyor for everything but my conveyor was very on the ball and every complaint raised he could show emails already sent.

    Use who you are comfortable with and just accept it's likely to take longer than you expect and want

  • Chief_of_Staffy
    Chief_of_Staffy Posts: 494 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Chadwick Lawrence is not an online conveyancer. They are a 170 year old firm with eight physical offices.

  • Gonk1967
    Gonk1967 Posts: 108 Forumite
    10 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Well we went with the estate agent's conveyancer, but they just palmed us on to some firm in London (Taylor Rose) and after a bit of due diligence, we found they'd recently been fined by the SRA over £160K for holding on to clients money.

    Needless to say we've now binned them and gone with a local firm of solicitors. Wish we'd done that to start with.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.