We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Mortgage brokers for PhD studentship

Hi all, looking to buy my first home and wondering if anyone here has recommendations for mortgage brokers with experience of PhD studentships? Preferably based in or near to south yorkshire, but not a deal breaker if not! Thank you

Comments

  • Sherlock33
    Sherlock33 Posts: 54
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I was in this exact position a few years ago, I'm doing my PhD in Sheffield.

    I used Alison Pinder who is Sheffield based.

    If you are buying alone you might struggle if the stipend is your only source of income - she could only find 1 provider who would consider it.

    Although if you are buying with someone else, it seems to be easier - I know a few people who were able offers from multiple providers with one stipend and another full time salary.

  • calmllama27
    calmllama27 Posts: 2
    First Post
    Newbie

    Thanks! I'm the same and will be studying in Sheffield, stipend will be my only source of income unfortunately. How did you get on with finding a house in the end?

    Also do you have any contact details for Alison? I couldn't find anything on Google, cheers.

  • Sherlock33
    Sherlock33 Posts: 54
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Have PM'd you her email

    I was looking for a remortgage to move to a bigger property, in the end I stayed where I was because I couldn't borrow enough on the stipend alone.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.