We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

AO 5-star membership + finance WARNING!!!

Bought a new dishwasher last November and became a 5-star AO member to get a better price. We paid using finance (interest free), and set up theaDirect Debit to pay the fixed amount each month (around £60).

Just checked my statements and since November I've been charged between 92p and 51p a month interest, and since February have been paying just £5 Direct Debit a month. I had just under £20 left to pay on the account, so immediately paid it off in full.

Looking further into this I discovered that my 5-star membership (that I obviously forgot to immediately cancel after our purchase) had been automatically renewed in October, and ythe £39.99 added to my AO Finance account and it had been accruing interest, while the Direct Debit had defaulted to £5 minimum payment each month. I have so far been charged £5.07 in interest on the unwanted £39.99!

Looking through my emails I had no confirmation in October that my membership was being renewed, or that the fee would be added to my AO finance account, or that interest would be charged on that fee if not paid off in full. I know it's only a fiver, but I'm fuming!

I'm phoning to complain in the morning, but thought I would share on here too. Will update this thread in the morning…

Comments

  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,799
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    You might consider this as sharp practice but this is really your mistake. You even acknowledge that you forgot to cancel the membership renewal.

  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 16,898
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 9 June at 9:10AM

    The terms make it clear it's an annual fee that renews each year. However, the terms do state that they'll send you a reminder. If you have evidence they didn't do so, go back to them and say so. Evidence of not having received something can be difficult to find, and if they did send you a reminder (and you deleted it, or it went into a spam folder) then that would be comparatively easy for them to provide.

    This all hinges on the terms of the membership and whether they've abided by them. Have they?

  • Yes I failed to cancel, but I didn't ask for my ongoing membership fee to be added to my finance plan, or to have interest charged on it! I also appreciate being informed when any membership plan is renewed.

  • We have contacted AO and they kindly refunded the £39.99 membership fee, and when I further complained about the interest they agreed to refund the interest too.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.