We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Budgeting advice
so I take hame roughly
£1681.87 after tax etc
After paid everything I have usually £227.73 left gone though my bank statements like a fine tooth comb
I have been saving £100 towards service charge each month & £50 toward emergency funs
But most of it has been eaten up doing repairs on my car since October 25 (Had my 2011 polo GTI since 2015) so couldn’t save as it went toward the car lol 😂
Still have about £600 saved but that won’t cover the service charge (next month) & car repairs that need doing after mot advisory
what’s safest option to get them paid family have helped a bit but can’t keep doing it!
Comments
-
Are you willing to breakdown where the bulk of the money is going? That's the core part in helping you budget.
I'm FTB, not an expert, all my comments are from personal experience and not a professional advice.Mortgage debt start date 11/2024 = 175k (5.19%)... Q1/2026 = PAID (3.94%)1 -
The best thing would be to prepare your SoA (statement of affairs) - try one of the examples linked in the " debt free wannabe" (DFW) area of the forum. The lemonfool template seems to be popular.
Just doing that may be sufficient for you to work things out. If not, you can share your SoA for suggestions.
2 -
I was trying to save monthly £100 for service charge & £50 so I can save up & keep it spare for things that need doing! But the bulk of my savings & money has been eating up on repairing things on my car over time since October 2025 (that’s including the advisory’s from mot) so spent £1,435 on my car in total!
I checked my bank statements & after all bills & credit card paid & money moved to savings i will have £227 left but non of that has happened due to car repairs so couldn’t save & need my car!
Will try save as much I can next pay day soI can pay for everything that needs doing service charge about £1,200 car £350
have £600 left in savings0 -
Is it perhaps time to get rid of the money pit (the car)?
It's good to keep things running, but when it's annihilating your savings and preventing you saving for essentials like your service charge then perhaps it's time for it to go. Are you expecting the recent repairs to make the car last substantially longer? Or are other costly repairs also on the cards soon?
1 -
all the repairs done on the car will make it last longer!
The last major repair was 2021 (Timing belt) £1.3k
Out of the repairs £250 was for an accident not my fault lol!
All I have left to spend on the car is £350 (July) £50 August but that’s in the £1435.
Can’t afford a new car at moment
0 -
Those GTR's still have a value, some are going up, most are going "out of fashion"
Your car-"investment"-money pit needs be seriously considered if worth keeping or just getting a car-transport
Basically, not a budgeting question, car question
1 -
I would love a R34 skyline lol 😂 too much money
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
