We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Switch now (while in contract) or wait?
I am currently with Outfox Energy. For context I am paying 83/month (£997/yr) - no, I don't think I can cut down further…
If I were on the price cap I would pay £1190 now and will pay £1350 from July.
My contract ends at the end of August, but I could switch internally at no extra cost (I have done it countless times with OE. I don't know why they allow it, but there you go), and that would mean that I would ay £1180/yr or £98/mth (penalty of £150 will apply if I move away).
Should I switch now or wait for my contract to end? I can't decide.
Comments
-
normally, OutFox is alright, I've been with them in the past, but changed due to their introduction of "Exit fees"
To pay needlessly to switch out right now, just doesn't make no sense, as even if you do, "Market shocks" will end up past to a customer regardless of those "fixed" promises etc…
whatever the changes to happen in August or 50 days prior to the term of "no penalty for exiting "no-exit"" period, can not possibly be £150 worth.
In short: I'd wait, until switch date, without paying "penalties" just for the sake of switching, as these days all that "loyalty virtue" nobody even understands, let alone appreciates
0 -
No I can switch internally at no cost. If there was a penalty I wouldn't even consider it ;)
All the prices quoted are for staying with them.0 -
My bad, misread.
However, if you switch internally now, you'll be tied up to at least 12 months proper.
My "idea"-"philosophy"-"advice" stands the same: wait until no shackless time and do switch to some other supplier, that wouldn't penalise with them "exit-fee penalties". Personally from OutFox (I've been with them trice, for a total of x5 years), that I've always rated good overall, I switched to "as good" Octopus, yesterday switched to "unknown" Home_Energy… I might save some £50 or so a year (I would've paid extra £50), that hardly matters to me as much, as not being dumb-down with "exit-fees"…
I haven't a crystal ball or could I read your mind or predict markets better, than that, just seeing- saying from my perspective
1 -
Have you checked that with Outfox themselves or are you going by how you've been able to internally switch without exit fees in the past? If the latter then beware as they did change their position on this in the latter part of last year and so you may want to get their current position on whether you will be charged.
0 -
I have not checked. I go by what happened until August of last year.
I have now sent them a message to check what the situation is (the chat seems to be closed for the day…).In any case, as stated before, I wouldn't consider doing anything if there is a penalty attached.
UPDATE:
I believe it will be penalty free as I can change from the website and it doesn't say I would have to pay anything.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.7K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards