We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Income protection

Hi - I wonder if you have any advice please.

I have always worked for large organisations with many additional benefits - however since moving to a smaller company I no longer receive a atrong redundancy offering or any sick pay other than the standard you can claim. I have started to look online and I am confused (they seem to only offer cover for 12 months and who knows what the future could bring).

Is there anywhere specifically I should be looking? Should I contact a local broker (of what?). Its all very new after decades of recieving this as a benefit and not sure where to go.

Thank yiu

Comments

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,864 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Hi - I wonder if you have any advice please.

    No, it's just discussion here, no advice.

     I have started to look online and I am confused (they seem to only offer cover for 12 months and who knows what the future could bring).

    The ones with 12 months' cover are PPI versions. That is not full income protection. That's the budget version. These are also not underwritten at point of sale but at point of claim.

    Is there anywhere specifically I should be looking? Should I contact a local broker (of what?). Its all very new after decades of recieving this as a benefit and not sure where to go.

    You're looking for the Permanent Health Insurance (PHI) version. PHI is the traditional name. Although most marketing names no longer refer to it as such, as it's not particularly modern, in respect of plain English.

    I don't know what the internet coverage of these is like, but any local IFA or whole of market protection advisor would have access to these.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,226 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    PPI/ASU is the budget product you mainly see online, it's a 12 month policy with annual premium reviews. As we saw in 2020, lots decided not to renew policies when there was a crisis and the few that did were increasing premiums 4-5x the prior year.

    What used to be called PHI is the step up, for a start its a long term policy and you can fix or index premiums, insurers can't just cancel it other than due to fraud or non-payment. This too now comes in two flavours, one that provides cover for a year or two of claim and the full fat version that covers you until your declared policy end date (normally your planned retirement age).

    PHI is typically only covering the AS part of ASU but some allow you to add a short term unemployment cover too.

    The problem is that all three are often sold as "income protection" and so it's not easy to see the differences… certainly ASU and the basic PHI can be bought online. Personally I would speak to a decent whole of market broker, in theory IFAs do also do protection insurance but my experience with 2 IFAs were poor.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.