We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Can CIFAS marker be placed months after account closure?
Can CIFAS marker be placed months after account closure?
I want to know if anyone has had any experience of having a CIFAS marker placed on them months after their account has been closed. People say it's usually placed the day after the account is closed but my research has shown there is no regulated timeframe for when a bank can put on a marker.
Just want to know if anyone has had experience or known of instances where Monzo has placed a marker months after account closure.
The situation is that my Monzo account was closed 6 months ago but I recently completed a DSAR that came up with no information held. I'm just wondering if there were any instances where a marker was placed months after closure even after getting a clear DSAR before
Comments
-
Have you been able to open a new account since the closure?
0 -
Yes, I have opened a Barclays account recently. I did a DSAR request and it came back yesterday with no information held. Just worried about the seemingly infinite timeframe a bank is allowed to place a marker.
0 -
As explained on your Reddit post (I'm assuming it's you) in theory they could but unlikely after 6 months. There is no regulatory timeframe.
To be still worried 6 months later suggests you feel you did something a bit 'dodgy'
0 -
well if you’ve been able to open an account elsewhere then you shouldn’t be worried. I had my bank closed back in January and I’ve since been able to open new ones without any issues. Don’t worry about it most likely they probably didn’t want your business.
0 -
It's not that I think I did something dodgy, it's that obviously money that wasn't meant to be sent to me and/or sent by a dodgy account was transferred out of the Monzo account and into my other account, and I haven't been given a chance to return it.
It makes me feel complicit in whatever was going on and makes me feel like a marker could be placed later on. I know I sound crazy right now, I guess I'm highly obsessive over these things. It's just horrible not knowing.
0 -
What you have described is classic money laundering mule.
Bottom line is nobody here can say you definitely won't get a CIFAS but at this stage it is highly unlikely.
1 -
Yes I know no one can tell me for certain, this post was mainly to see if anyone has had experience or known someone to get a marker months after closure. So far the people I have been able to talk to on forums all day they were placed the day after or a couple of days after. I was interested if anyone knew anything about Monzo's investigation process, i.e. if they can request statements from my other account to see that the money is still in my account (which it is).
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards