We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Rental Application

Good evening,

I am a bit worried as looking to rent again but back account is nearly £500 overdrawn

I am on benefits, I have a guarantor and can give reference letter from landlord, and obviously show benefits statements.

I am really worried they will ask for bank statements as then they will see the overdraft, I do pay all my bills on time, just had this overdraft for a while.

Aprreciate any advice, thankyou

Comments

  • TroubledTarts
    TroubledTarts Posts: 1,032 Forumite
    500 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Depends on the area you are renting in and whether supply of rental properties outstrips demandnotherwise I fear you may be overlooked.

    A guarantor will help immensely though so Just start applying and use the guarantor.

    You won't know until you start applying.

    Some private landlords don't do credit checks

  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    @TroubledTarts thankyou for your reply, there are more rentals here which are in the estate agents not through open rent, I am actually viewing one tomorrow, it is making me so stressed, I am just embarassed.

  • TroubledTarts
    TroubledTarts Posts: 1,032 Forumite
    500 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 25 August at 10:18AM

    These things happen, you should not be surprised to hear there are many many people in a far worse financial situation than yourself that the estate agents will have seen but the guarantor is your secret weapon to getting a property to rent. Good luck

  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    @TroubledTarts thankyou. Yes I know you are right, hopefully the guarantor and lanlord reference will help, I always go worse case scenarios in my head first which I know I shouldn't, I might not even like this one tomorrow, but sooner or later there will be one.

    I will post my outcome when I do complete and have been accepted somewhere, as this might help someone in the same situation.

  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 5,725 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

     I am just embarassed.

    No need to be. Money is tight for lots of people and often through no fault of their own. Also, as an ex-landlord, I don't see a £500 overdraft automatically being a problem.

  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    @MEM62 thankyou for your kind words and input.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.