We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Water Damage from Other Property - Leasehold

2»

Comments

  • PhoenixFlames
    PhoenixFlames Posts: 31 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts

    OK - few more details.

    A 125l direct unvented tank was being replaced in the airing cupboard. When they decoupled it, the remaining water just vented straight out and into my ceiling. I was standing in the lounge and all the lights etc went out, I then turned as the sound of water to see it running through the smoke alarm - which I assume was the natural place for it to escape. So it had to come along a few metres in the floor/my ceiling.

    I threw a container under it and ran upstairs and found two young lads panicking with one of them yelling about having no bucket. I told them what had happened, asked who was in charge. They had no wet vaccum, buckets or even a mop. I asked if they had anything to clean it up and (I kid you not) one of them pulled out some hand tissues.

    I asked them to call their boss and to call me. This led to the unpleasant incident in my lounge. I realised it was the same guy I had found directly under my front window in the morning. When I'd gone outside and asked him what he was doing, he told me it was none of my business. When I pointed out a man scrabbling behind my front bush and under my front window was very much relevant to me, he just muttered he was looking for a meter and left. I mention this to make it really clear how much I do not want to ever have to deal with him again. He loudly insisted that water leakage was "inevitable" and something I should tolerate when people were doing work. I asked him to leave.

    I spoke with the Letting Agents who stated this plumber is their preferred contractor, working under their direction, found it unlikely he would ever be rude and that they should be contacted for everything related to the property. They sent a qualified electrician after several days to replace the mains alarm and tested everything going back on. I sent them pictures and videos of the cracking and they have refused to pass on any messages to the owner. There is a good chance the owner has not been made aware by them.

    Having had my own tank replaced 6 months ago, my plumbers drained with hoses, had buckets and even powered up the wet dry ready to go just in case. I'd like to think that this was pretty basic 101 stuff for a plumber.

    Just so aggravating. Had they had a vaccum they could have got lots of the water up, thrown some dehumidifers in the right place and sent someone round with a tub of whatever from their maintenance team (they have painters and decorators) and fixed the crack with an apology when it dried. I'm really far from someone that wants to make a mountain out of a molehill, I would have been mollified with the basic steps needed for them to make it good, especially as they keep insisting they "control" the property on behalf of the owner.

    Thanks for the suggestion to go and check the lease. I'll look for anything to do with water leaks. If it is noted, I will go to the Land Registry to get Owner details. I guess they can then choose to address the issue with their Letting Agent.

  • subjecttocontract
    subjecttocontract Posts: 3,822 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Genuinely I wish you good luck with getting the plaster crack sorted but.......I suspect you are wasting your time and will get nowhere. Small plaster cracks.....even those a few feet long.....are the sort of repair that gets done during redecoration.

  • mta999
    mta999 Posts: 767 Forumite
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    What's the op describes as happening is pretty much the definition of negligence (by the plumber and thus by the owner) and thus the owner above is responsible for the costs repairing the crack

  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 18,776 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    mta999 said

    What's the op describes as happening is pretty much the definition of negligence (by the plumber and thus by the owner) and thus the owner above is responsible for the costs repairing the crack

    No - if the plumber was negligent, it's the plumber that is liable for the cost of repair. Not the owner.

    (If you were to hire a plumber, and the plumber did something daft, which resulted in your neighbour's house burning down - you would not be liable for the hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of damage. The plumber would be liable.)

    The only exception might be something like if you told the plumber specifically to do something negligent, or you knew that the plumber wasn't a competent person to do the job, but you hired them anyway.

  • Chief_of_Staffy
    Chief_of_Staffy Posts: 496 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    If there was significant damaged then you'd claim on your own insurance; they would pay for repairs and get that money back from the plumber's insurance, assuming he has any, or him personally if not. You wouldn't have to deal with the moron personally. But a shrinkage crack, if that's what it is, really isn't worth the effort and you would end up losing money because your insurers likely wouldn't bother pursuing a third party for a few quid, they'd just put up your premiums on renewal.

  • sheenas
    sheenas Posts: 568 Forumite
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    I gave an idea for a repair, so the OP understand what they should be asking for when requesting a quote. I am sure if you asked a plaster you would get a quote for replastering the ceiling, which isn't necessary.

  • PhoenixFlames
    PhoenixFlames Posts: 31 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts

    Thanks everyone. The idea of having to engage with that plumber again around his liability insurance is SO unappealing and would require me to deal with a man whose already demonstrated some pretty out there behaviour and I'm certain it would result in him knocking on my door again. The juice is not worth the squeeze as it were. If the ceiling had come down for example, it would be a different matter and then it would be my insurance dealing with him, rather than having to do it personally.

    Thank you for the tips from people on the kind of repair needed.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.