We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Item not dispatched

Buyaparcel is a big seller on eBay. They have sold nearly 3 million items.

On Wednesday I ordered a Makita tool from them for around £100. I needed it fairly quickly and eBay indicated that delivery would be between Friday and Monday. By Friday there was no indication that it had been shipped, so I messaged them to ask whether they had any issues. No response!

I then checked their website, and the item is out of stock. So, I asked to cancel the order and they agreed to cancel.

I think it is pretty pathetic to offer items that they don’t have in stock, but far worse to simply ignore my enquiry about whether they had issues. So, should I leave negative feedback, and will eBay allow me to do so?

No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?

Comments

  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 2,805 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 31 May at 9:57AM

    If you do leave negative feedback it will be entirely based on your own assumptions. First that they were out of stock, and second that the items wouldn’t arrive. They could have shipped on Friday or Saturday on a next day service to get there on Monday, but you cancelled before they could prove or disprove this.

    Also they may have been showing out of stock on their website because you had already bought their last one. Or perhaps they have different inventories or warehouses for their website store and their eBay shop?

    I’ve been on eBay since 1998 and I would only leave a negatives where I had undeniable proof that a seller failed to deliver on their promises.

    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 27,296 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I do wonder whether I am being a bit precious. Nevertheless, they certainly did not respond to my perfectly polite query.

    If this were a small business I’d be more forgiving, but this is a very large one.

    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Jemma01
    Jemma01 Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 31 May at 10:17AM

    If I was dying to express dissatisfaction over a lack of response after giving 3 days for the response, then I would leave a neutral feedback.

    How long did you wait for a reply? How long did it take to accept cancellation (as that's a form of communication)?

    When in rush, best to shop in-store.

    I'm FTB, not an expert, all my comments are from personal experience and not a professional advice.
    Mortgage debt start date 11/2024 = 175k (5.19%)... Q1/2026 = PAID (3.94%)
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 3,020 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    BuyaParcel is part of a pretty small Lowestoft company, Godfreys, a Plumbing Merchant that used to have a nice department store in the Town Centre. AFAIK it's still just the one/two neighbouring Warehouse/Offices in the Town's outskirts.

    https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/09331128

    Average of 38 employees in YE Jan 2025, 3 Directors.

    Other similar larger companies in that local area have failed / disappeared in the 10 years since we lived there. (Though Godfreys foray into the Retail Department Store failed/closed before that).

    Associated companies are

    https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/05887957

    https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/15436549

    They provide a landline telephone number, and have social medya presences as well, to ask on if needed.

    This week is half-term and a Bank Holiday at the start of it… I'd suspect the staff levels are at a minimum as a result… You never paid for "next day delivery" which they offer if in a hurry (on their website at least, if not eBay or Amazon). Impatience rarely pays off.

  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 27,296 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 31 May at 3:46PM

    I was in a rush, so I bought something completely different from Screwfix. Unfortunately, the Makita item I really wanted is quite hard to get hold of, and there are not that many stockists.

    I just wish I'd done that a few days earlier, instead of messing about with ebay.

    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Jemma01
    Jemma01 Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 2 June at 6:08AM

    curious, what makita tool is it? 😅 Ordered their tyre inflator on Saturday, I expect it to arrive today

    I'm FTB, not an expert, all my comments are from personal experience and not a professional advice.
    Mortgage debt start date 11/2024 = 175k (5.19%)... Q1/2026 = PAID (3.94%)
  • dnpark38
    dnpark38 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper

    Will Ebay allow you to place Negative report?

  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,492 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    there’s usually a 7 day delay before leaving a non positive review for a business seller, but as long as buyer is careful what they say and how they word it a negative or neutral can be left.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.