We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How much do you pay for insulin for your dog?

swingaloo
swingaloo Posts: 3,705 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

My dog has to be injected twice a day and the last 3 times I have got the insulin from the vet the price has increased each time.

!st bottle £50.50

2nd £52.15

3rd £57.50

When I queried it I was just told 'Oh its gone up' but this is all in the space of 6 weeks.

Just wondered how much others pay?

Comments

  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,811 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I understand the concern over the expense of this, particularly if it's not covered by any insurance, as I have previously had 2 diabetic cats.

    You don't say what size bottle you get but I did wonder if you would save by buying products online. I've not done this so can't recommend but a random google got me this - Search Results For insulin

    You might want to check with the vet to see if they recommend a particular website. I know our vet suggested getting special food etc from other sources to save on the costs so they should be willing to advise.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 3,705 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Thank you for the reply. At the moment we are covered by insurance but will soon be at the limit 'cap' for the condition. Ive looked at all the websites and I can buy it about £25 cheaper than at the vets, however the vet charges £20 for the prescription which erases the saving. I was really just wondering if other vets charge a similar price to mine as it seems odd that it has risen in price twice in 6 weeks.

    I see the vet again next week and Im going to ask if he can give me a prescription to cover more than one bottle as I pay for a 10ml bottle and I can get a can get a larger bottle for £100 if he will give me a prescription to cover 3 months. That way I would save on 2 prescription charges.

  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,505 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Our vet issues a prescription for 6 months for using on line

  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,304 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper

    You can use a vet's prescription at a high street chemist.

    Check out their prices.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.