We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Toyota'07 issues with clutch - worth fixing?

2»

Comments

  • oldagetraveller1
    oldagetraveller1 Posts: 1,636
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 1 June at 1:14PM

    I did own a Mk 2 Toyota Yaris with one of these automated manual 'boxes (MMT). An awful transmission which I endured for three years.

    That did have a similar issue and required a clutch "re-learn" at a Toyota dealer, suggested by Goudy. That kept it going until I traded in at the same dealership.

  • muffinek
    muffinek Posts: 155
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I got already couple garages refusing to even have a look. Contacted few others waiting for response. I wasn't considering contacting Toyota dealer but I may have no choice. Any ideas how much they may charge?

  • tom192
    tom192 Posts: 87
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Not sure where you are located, not used myself but Matt from High Peak autos (YouTube) uses them if in the North West

    https://www.gearsandclutches.co.uk/

  • Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 3,385
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 2 June at 2:10AM

    Are you anywhere near Croydon /Norbury.

    There is a back street Toyota guy. Who is fantastic.

    Here is a listing for a battery, not what you need, but it’s got the guys number.

    He replaced the battery below in my mates Prius, Then when he had an issue 3 weeks later, scanned the car found the relay causing the issue, fitted him a second hand one, said drive it for a few weeks and come back and pay me when your next passing. 100k later it’s still fine. He has tons of genuine Toyota parts on the shelf. Always busy with cars from private hire drivers they come from all over London to see him. When I went with my mate they had engines out, gearboxes etc so I believe they do all types of work on Toyota’s. Very back street though but do excellent work at fair prices. If it’s the right guy his place is in an alleyway behind the shops in London Rd Norbury, just past A Tesco on the corner.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295216536357

    If you are interested I would contact my mate for the address and number & guys name.

  • Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 2,617
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 2 June at 7:55AM

    There is a way to clear and relearn without the diagnostic software. It's not something I would normally recommend though. I've done it once on a family members car and it worked. It's free so it might be worth a shot before deciding on what else to do.

    There are guides and videos floating out there on the 'net that show you how to jump the OBD2 pins under the dashboard to clear the memory and then the procedure to go through for it to relearn all the actuators positions.

    It's actually not that difficult and all you need is a paperclip, your foot and both hands.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.