We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Car Finance Claim - Cancelling Solicitor Fee

Hi all,

Like many others, when the car finance mis-selling news came out, I signed up with a company called Consumer Rights Solicitors regarding three car finance agreements I’d had.

More recently, I followed Martin Lewis’ advice and used his free reclaim tool to submit complaints directly to the finance companies myself.

One of the finance companies has now replied saying they already received a complaint from Consumer Rights Solicitors on my behalf. They said that if I want the complaint handled directly under my own name, I’ll need to ask Consumer Rights Solicitors to withdraw their claim first.

I contacted Consumer Rights Solicitors to request this, but they’ve told me that because I’m outside the cooling-off period, there will be a charge to cancel their service (although they haven’t yet confirmed how much).

Has anyone else been in a similar situation, and if so, what did you do? I’m concerned about delaying my claim, and now that I’ve decided to handle it myself, I don’t want Consumer Rights Solicitors continuing to act on my behalf. I’m also unsure whether charging me to cancel at this stage is legitimate.

Any advice would be appreciated - thank you.

Comments

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.