We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Package holiday with flights via Dubai
We are due to travel to Mauritius in October. We’ve booked a Virgin package holiday so flights and accommodation and transfers but the flights are with Emirates. I’ve currently only paid a £400 deposit and I’m due to pay my balance mid-July (about £12k). We are not staying in Dubai, only a layover of about 2-3hours. I called Virgin to discuss what might happen if we are still in the same situation with the Middle East but she was very vague! She said as my final destination is not impacted, if my flights are cancelled I could still get charged for the hotel. I’ve looked at changing the flights to go direct with Air Mauritius and it’s another £6k so that’s a firm no! Just wondered if anyone else has been in the same situation with Virgin and what the outcome was? Thanks
Comments
-
Can't really help much
Although want to follow this thread as planning to do something similar next year although to Japan via Emirates, with the current issues going on i'm hesitating to book my trip with them.
Do find it odd though you can still be charged for the hotel, if its a packaged holiday then it should be covered though ATOL/ABTA, if you cant get to the end destination then I thought you would be eligible for a refund closer to the time.
1 -
we booked end of last year so way before any of this all happened, been planning it for a while as 25th wedding anniversary so will be gutted if we can’t go!
0 -
Sit tight for now.
As a package holiday, the tour provider will be responsible for alternative flights or refund if the current route is cancelled.
2 -
What would you want to do if the flights were still flying? Bear in mind that it is possible to get travel insurance that would cover your holiday except for the time you are in areas that are on the Foreign Office do not travel or all but essential travel lists. So the only uninsured element would be when you are on the ground changing flights.
I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.1 -
i would be gutted to, as i was planning a 20th anniversary to include multiple destinations which included Japan as one of the places. As you booked way before the war you would think you would have a better chance to get your money back.
Hopefully it works out, as I would be annoyed and stressed like you.
1 -
could they charge me more to fly with a different airline if/when that happens and could I refuse and get a full refund?
0 -
We still want to go! So yes, we’d be prepared to travel.
1 -
I imagine you could probably choose to continue with Emirates if you are happy to do so.
I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.1 -
Looks like hostilities are about to flare up again, however nobody has a crystal ball to see what the near future might bring.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
