We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Perusing for replacement car
Comments
-
The Mazda 2 is now only available as a hybrid new, it's actually a Toyota Yaris with a Mazda badge.
The older one isn't bad, but it isn't great either as the 1.5 Skyactiv engine does tend to have a few issues, like excess carbon built up in the intake.
It's common on direct injection petrol engines but these seem to suffer more, probably down to the design and use of the EGR system.
On a similar theme to the Fabia is the Seat Ibiza. It's built on the same platform as the Fabia and VW Polo.
It's meant to have a sportier appearance externally at least, but all the engines are the same. The interiors are usually a touch less drab than the Fabia's as well.
But if your budget stretches, I would seriously consider a Toyota Yaris hybrid 2020 onwards.
They are far better cars than the previous model and that was good if a little dull. The Icon model just has enough kit, mainly safety stuff and you should still be able to tap in to that extended warranty. They aren't loaded with screens but they do come with carplay/android auto for maps etc.
I know they aren't everyone's cup of tea, but most think about that for the older models. These later ones are far better. The hybrid system is well sorted and very reliable and they drive better than ever.
They are capable of mega miles, so with just simple servicing it should last you many years without much hassle.
0 -
Thanks for that. I've not read about the carbon build up as an issue with the Mazda2 so that's noted. I have read you need to work the gears to get some oomph but that's no big deal to me as I have never driven a car with a turbo.
The Yaris is no good for me as I 100% want a manual gearbox for as long as I can.
0 -
Surely the answer is just to keep the car you've already got, given that it fulfils your requirements and is, we assume, bought and paid for. My car turned twenty this year and is still going; much of the reason for keeping it is that I've no desire for the electronic systems that aid, or afflict, modern cars.
Keeping something older on the road requires a little investment, granted, but such things pay off. Replacing a few simple things like rubber bushes, for example, can restore the ride and handling to new and preventative maintenance will keep the engine running.
1 -
No reason to change it if it's still working fine. My daily is 23 years old. Admittedly I do a lot of work on it myself but mainly upgrades and tidying up than actual stuff going wrong.
0 -
Just to clarify. I don't need to change it, I want to change it.
0 -
Anything in particular that you want that your current one doesn't do? Or just fancy a change.
I'd set autotrader filters with your budget and age range / transmission preference and see what comes up.
0 -
Fancy a change. Something quicker, newer and (maybe) more refined (and with air con that works LOL!).
Yes already done that with AT.
The Mazda3 looks stunning (IMHO) but of course there are others. No rush just yet.
0 -
i was in a similar position to you a year ago. easiest thing to do is go through a company who will find you somewthing that matches your needs. i used a company called streamline car finance. they pretty much did everything and found me a 3 year old car at a decent price.
0 -
I was reminded of another reason to consider buying a newer car. Those built today have far better crash prevention/protection as standard compared to our 2008 Corsa.
0 -
And lots of useful electronic driving assistance too.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

