We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Renting more than one property
I currently rent a place with my partner but for various reasons I want to rent another smaller place closer to my job. This will be my main residence. My partner intends on staying in our current place. All the utilities are in her name but the council tax is in both our names. We've crunched some numbers and can afford both places - are we under a duty to inform the current landlord? Apart from updating the council tax records is there anything else to consider here? A lot of the posts on this topic seem to be about flatmates falling out or couple's splitting up. This isn't our situation in case that's relevant!
Comments
-
The main reason I can think of for your landlord (or letting agent) to know is for affordability reasons. Both landlords want to be sure you can afford the rent.
I don't think you need to tell your landlord straight away, but if they do an affordability check in the future I guess it will come up.
0 -
I'm a landlord and as regards your existing rental no need to tell them. Even if it concerned them with the new rules that came into force on 1st May they can only evict on specific grounds, none of which include we are renting two homes between us.
1 -
No there is no law to tell the LL. It would only become an issue if you still wanted to rent two properties but change one of them and then your affordability might not meet requirements.
0 -
Sorry I'm not sure I follow - what do mean by change one of them?
0 -
If you wanted to move from one of your existing rentals to another still keeping two.
0 -
When you apply to rent the new property, you should be telling the new landlord that you have a financial commitment to the current property. The landlord needs to have all the facts to judge affordability for the new property. Some people would possibly keep quiet and let the new landlord assume you will no longer be liable for the new tenancy…
I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.2
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
