We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Should I have paint protection on new car?

Andystriker
Andystriker Posts: 639 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

Thanks for all replies on my "New Small Family Car Suggestions" thread. Much appreciated.

I have now done a deal on a brand new Suzuki Swift, and collect it next week. When I did the deal, the salesman wanted me pay an extra £695 for paint protection. I refused this, but wonder if its something I should have had?

Would you guys have had this "extra"? Do you think I should get, or need, some form of paint protection, and if so, should I find a local (the car was bought from a dealer 80 miles from me) specialist to do this.

What would you do?

Any replies are again much appreciated.

«1

Comments

  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 14,513 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    £700 is a lot of polish. Never had it, never will, had used cars with stickers to say it has had it, the car still gets dirty!

    However the salesman will be thankful of the bonus.

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,917 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    £700 is a lot of polish.

    It would but quite a few professional valeting sessions, too.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,695 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    If you pay their inflated prices for paint protection, you then have to clean the car regularly to their specifications or the "guarantees" that come with the paint protection are invalid.

    Evidently 4 times a year to the local cheap car wash doesn't count.

    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Hi Andystriker,

    You definitely made the right call by saying no! Dealership paint protection is rarely worth the paper it's printed on, and £695 is a massive markup.

    The products they use are often basic sealants that you can buy yourself online for under £30. Worse, dealer valeters rarely have the time to prep the paint properly before applying it, meaning it doesn't last very long anyway.

    If you want peace of mind for the paint, look for a highly-rated local independent detailer near you. They will do a far superior, professional job prepping and sealing the car for a fraction of that dealership price.

    Enjoy your new Suzuki Swift!

  • facade
    facade Posts: 8,193 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Yes you should have paint protection, but put it on yourself for 1/20 the price!

    You can easily do as good a job as the dealer will yourself, or you can pay a detailer to do a really good job.

    Clean the car and apply a polish, then go over it with a sealer.

    Polishing it yourself you can spot any marks & blemishes in time to take it back.

    The sealer will help ward off the effects of bird poo and the vile ichor that falls out of trees- but you still need to wash them off as quickly as possible.

    There are loads of Magic Fluids, I use Autoglym Super Resin polish followed by Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection (mainly because I bought a large bottle of the polish years ago and it hasn't run out yet) but many other brands are available.

    I can't be bothered with the secret special recommended shampoo though, my cars just get Bilt Hamber snow foam followed by a Karcher shampoo stick up the handle of the brush (I bought a load of them too, but I'm down to the last pack now, I bet they are more than the 50p I paid…)

    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

    (except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • chuffinnora
    chuffinnora Posts: 104 Forumite
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    For sure NO is the right answer. It a rip-off and one of those commission earners for them, a bit like fridge insurance.

    A local valet specialist berates them and posts detailed close-up photos of how bad they apply these offers and actually damage paintwork.

  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 101,331 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Mortgage-free Glee!

    I had no idea that this was a thing!

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.[/b] [11 months left.[/b]
  • rikbar
    rikbar Posts: 97 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Never ever let the dealer add any kind of protection - and when they have the car never let them wash it (unless you want swirl marks galore).

    For the money quoted you could have a pro detailer do a full paint correction and ceramic coat with a decent product - I have had my last 3 cars coated and it makes cleaning the car so easy as well as ensuring that the paint stays at its best for longer.

  • Alanp
    Alanp Posts: 853 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper

    I had mine done by the dealer when I bought it new three years ago although not at the price the op has been quoted, I think it was worthwhile as it is easy to clean, the dealer offered me a price to do it but i refused and they came back with a half price offer, would I have it done again, not sure if I’m honest as I miss giving my car a clean and polish, I guess if you’re less mobile then it might be worth it but, as others have said, find a car detailer and have them do it…

  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 4,055 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I've found the initial dealer's polishing/waxing lasts a good 12 months and there should be no real deterioration in the paint for years if looked after properly.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.