We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Retrospective Valuation for CGT

I'm a non resident landlord and if I sell the property (the only property I own) that I once lived in, then since 2015 CGT is now chargeable, before there was no CGT. Since this law change non resident landlords are able to base gains on the market value on 6 April 2015 when the law changed.

I don't need it at the moment I am just thinking ahead.

So how to get this market value, HMRC are very vague when I spoke to them, they don't insist on a formal valuation or any evidence but of course I wouldn't want it to be rejected and really would like to know to help me work out what CGT may be due.

I have some data of my own, I have an estate agents valuation dated June 2015 (not a formal paid for valuation but the agent knows the property and its condition) and my neighbours adjoining property also sold a year earlier in June 2014.
The agent gave a valuation range that is 6-10% more than what my neighbours property sold for a year earlier.

Could I use this information for a valuation myself? HMRC says I don't have to submit a formal valuation or any evidence; they only contact back if they (VOA) don't agree. I read elsewhere that if the value is within 10-15% of their estimate they generally accept it.

(not real values just an example)
June 2014: 200K - neighbours property sold
June 2015: + 6-10% 212-220K - agents valuation
April 2015: I was thinking I might be safe if I added 10-15% to June 2014 (which is a very comparable sold price), so giving a valuation of 220-230.

Obviously, I want this to be as high as I can get away with, but realistic so HMRC will not challenge it, so maybe 220 is better as its the higher range of the agents valuation or is 230 reasonable (??).

Failing this can anyone recommend where to get a reasonably priced valuation?
I have seen some recommend Hometrack valuation for 19.99, but it has limitations and I'm not sure it carries any more weight than my own research. A desktop retrospective valuation from a RICS surveyor is the next step and I've read you can get them for around 100, but I've not seen that price anywhere.

- Thanks.

Comments

  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 18,869 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Look at sold prices for similar properties in your area. The data can be found at the Land Registry and places like Rightmove & Zoopla. Estate agent "valuations" are typically the price they would market the property at rather than the value it actually achieves.

    Sold prices also gives you solid evidence to back up what you think the house is worth should HMRC dispute the numbers.

    Any language construct that forces such insanity in this case should be abandoned without regrets. –
    Erik Aronesty, 2014

    Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,409 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper

    Happy to be corrected, but I thought you also have the option of calculating the gain based on your purchase price and doing a linear calculation on how much of that gain was post April 2015. So if you sold in April 2027 and had bought in April 2019, two thirds of the gain would be post April 2015 so you could pay CGT based on two thirds of the gain since purchase.

    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • alphason
    alphason Posts: 183 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    @FreeBear Yes that pretty much what I was doing, an identical property (with a smaller plot/garden) sold in June 2014 so a year earlier is the nearest real sale data I have, 2015 was quite hot for property in this area so I was thinking I might get away with adding 10-15% to that sold price to get my valuation, I read HMRC generally accept a figure within 10-15% of their own valuation (the agents valuation would have added 6-10% to that sold price).

    @silvercar Yes there's a choice of rebasing to market value in 2015 to calculation gain, or time apportionment where you pay gains only on the % proportion of ownership since 2015, or you pay on gains for the whole period of ownership. That's how I understand it, method 1 should be the best in my case.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.