We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Duplicate switch payment?

Has anyone else had Barclays accidentally pay them the switching bonus twice?

The only options for contacting them seem to be using a chatbot that doesn’t work, a message service that’s been broken for weeks, or sitting on hold on the phone while the years drift by. The only other alternative would be going into a Barclays branch, except they’ve apparently shut every one within 20 miles of me. You genuinely couldn’t make it up.

I got the initial £200 bonus a couple of weeks ago, thought that was that, and today I logged in to start another bank switch only to find Barclays have credited me with another £200! Honestly, it’s almost impressive how a bank this catastrophically incompetent can simultaneously throw money around by mistake while making every single interaction with them feel like punishment!

Typical Barclays customer service chaos. The message service has apparently been offline for weeks now, and the F- bot they use is a complete waste of time. My main issue when dealing with my parents’ banking is the soul-destroying business of trying to get through to them on the phone and then trying to be understood. Only Barclays could pay me £200 twice and somehow still leave me wishing I hadn’t even bothered because it’s still more trouble than it’s worth.

I’m not sure what to do next because my new switch will close the account and transfer the balance including the duplicate £200 to the new bank.

I do still have an empty Barclays savings account open because I use it for ID verification when dealing with my parents’ Power of Attorney, so I’m wondering whether to just move the extra £200 into that account and leave it there in case Barclays eventually realise and want it back.

Has this happened to anyone else, and if so did Barclays ever reclaim it? I know they’re entitled to get it back but they’re so utterly useless, who knows?

Comments

  • danny13579
    danny13579 Posts: 1,895 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 24 May at 12:11PM

    This has already been mentioned in the Barclays switch thread, specifically this post, so you are not the only one that this has happened to.

    When does your new switch from Barclays complete? I think I would just leave the money where it is as they'll take it back once they realise the error. If the switch completes before the money is taken back I would wait for them to contact you looking for it back. I wouldn't be chasing them to give them money back. But I would return it if they requested it.

    The various Barclays switch threads on here are full of horror stories about them.

  • Marcoos
    Marcoos Posts: 240 Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    @Jjay I just got a text from Barlclays to confirm their mistake and will be taking the money back tomorrow.

  • subjecttocontract
    subjecttocontract Posts: 3,823 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Oh good.....perhaps they will be able to pay my bonus to me now.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.