We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Carbase Issue
Hi,
Looking for some advice regarding my car purchase from Carbase Weston and the service after
So bought a Hyundai Tuscon in February and the Carbase Car Club Membership.
Car had short MOT, but as the car is supposed to go through RAC Checks before sale I assumed any issue would have been picked up
So onto the MOT at my local Carbase Bristol, it failed on Offside Rear Suspension arm pin or bush excessively worn, had the car only 3 months so obviously this issue already existed on purchase
Carbase did say they would pay for the repair and part, which is good. They said they would contact me the day after, Wednesday, but nothing. I rang them Friday for a update, they told me part was arriving today, but no one rang me to confirm this
Tried ringing them back at 4:30 but no answer through any of their numbers
So I think that covers it so far
So my question is would I be entitled some money back because of the car being sold to me already damaged?
Should they be offering me a courtesy car? I need one for the family as we are a car down
Are they letting me down with the Membership benefits and not holding up their end
Any help greatly appreciated
Comments
-
No you're not entitled to money back automatically (ie a part refund). The car has to be durable, safe, fit for purpose etc. It is the dealer's responsibility to uphold this, not Carbase.
You are not entitled to a courtesy car under consumer law.
Would need to see the T&Cs you agreed to.
0 -
Carbase was where I purchased the car from
Will find the T&Cs
0 -
You bought a used car knowing it only had three months MOT.
What age, mileage are we talking about?
During that three months, you never noticed any unusual tyre wear, any knocks or rattles from the rear suspension.
Come MOT, something (what?) in the rear suspension was worn enough to fail the test.
Now, that wear COULD quite easily have been acceptable to the tester three months previously, but progressed perhaps because of use on poor road surfaces - how much mileage did you cover in that time?
They're covering it under the warranty. This is good of them. They could very easily point to wear-and-tear consumables being excluded.
There's been a delay in the part arriving. Is that within their control?
Does the warranty documentation specify a right to a courtesy car?
And you want a retrospective discount on the purchase price…?!?0 -
And I doubt if anyone can comment on the club element as I can't see anything about the club benefits on their site.
But to answer your question you're entitled to a repair as the assumption is that faults found within 6 months are deemed to have existed at point of sale unless the dealer can prove otherwise and tbh for the cost of that repair not worth arguing about.
0 -
But you bought "Carbase Car Club membership" separately? Why, when it seems to (respecting the fact I've not seen its T&Cs) cover nothing over and above the dealer's existing legal obligations?
0 -
Did you check for any previous advisories on old MOT's?
Life in the slow lane0 -
Completely clean MOT history apart from tyres
0 -
It was probably a mistake to buy it if I'm honest. But the service I've received since has not been great
You get as a member
Warranty & Breakdown:Includes a 6-month RAC Warranty and 12 months of RAC Breakdown Cover.Free Seasonal Checks:You get free Summer and Winter vehicle health checks at their Auto Centres.Servicing Discounts:Members receive exclusive discounts on scheduled servicing, parts, and MOTs.
Plus drive home insurance on the day on purchase
I have no luck with cars, every decision I've ever made on a car backfired and I'm just after advice on what to do because Carbase don't seem to be providing what they said they would do
0 -
Carbase don't seem to be providing what they said they would do
I'm a bit lost, what did they say they would do that they didn't do?
0 -
The Dealer seems to have agreed to address the repair without quibble.
They seem to be progressing that repair in a timely fashion - have they indicated a time scale for the part delivery?
A courtesy car is not a right, generally. Have you asked for one? Does the "club" membership obligated the Dealer to provide a courtesy car?
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards