We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Groupon - Section 75 and Chargeback Query

Gazzer
Gazzer Posts: 19 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker

I recently asked my credit card company to raise a chargeback against Groupon for non delivery of what I ordered and it was impossible to get a positive outcome from Groupon.

The credit card company responded stating as there was no "debtor-creditor-supplier" agreement in place they could not raise a chargeback or process it under Section 75. I think it is because Groupon issue a voucher rather than supply anything and that voucher is then redeemed with Groupon's specified supplier. I would have thought that would have created a relationship but I am no expert and would appreciate someone who knows more than I do explaining this in simple terms.

It's not a great deal of money but I would like to understand it better as based on this I will never buy anything from anyone that involves them supplying a voucher to use with a third party. Experience Days sellers spring to mind as another similar type of transaction.

Comments

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,127 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    The above is correct, you paid Groupon for a voucher & received a voucher.

    S75 is the same basis, no debtor creditor link.

    Life in the slow lane
  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,226 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    S75 requires an unbroken relationship between the Debtor (you), the Creditor (your card issuer) and the Supplier (person giving you the goods or services). In this case you have introduced a 4th party which is Group On and your Creditor paid them not the Supplier hence it doesnt work. The only time you could have a valid S75 claim is if GroupOn didnt send you the voucher itself.

    Whilst Chargeback doesnt require the same unbroken link its likely to take a similar view, you bought a voucher you got a voucher. Chargeback process is also prescriptive, it only covers a limited number of circumstances and far from the many that people think it does eg a toy that turns up broken would be covered but a toy that turns up ok and breaks on day 3 isnt covered.

    What's the actual issue? You say it's non-delivery so do they say the goods were delivered but you havent gotten them? The Courier has said they can't find your address so returned the goods?

  • Gazzer
    Gazzer Posts: 19 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 28 May at 9:34PM

    Thanks for the explanation. The issue is before I ordered the product the supplier said I would get 4 pieces and when the order came only 1 piece was supplied and whilst I had emails and a confirmation from the supplier both before and after I placed the order that they would supply 4 pieces they never have. As far as Groupon are concerned because the supplier tells them they have fullfilled the voucher they will do nothing even though they also agree I should have received 4 pieces.

    As I said it's not a great deal of money and lesson learned, I will never use Groupon in future or anyone that wants to issue a voucher for someone else to supply.

  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 18,775 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Just for completeness, it sounds like there was a breach of contract - so you can persue the supplier for that. It's just that section 75 rules mean that you can't persue the card company as well.

    It depends on the precise wording of the contract, but it sounds like you used a voucher to pay for 4 pieces, but the supplier only supplied 1 piece. So the supplier is in breach of contract. (So for example, ultimately, you could make a court claim against the supplier for your losses.)

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.