We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Removing mud flaps
I’ve had problems before with the left rear mud flap half falling off whenever I’d drive over a bump. The mechanic put a bolt in the bottom attaching to the bumper to hold it on. But now the top clips have fallen apart again and I’m fed up with it so I decided to remove both rear mudflaps. Does anyone know what screwdriver I need? The screws have a square in the middle.
Would it be better to ask the garage to replace them? I’d prefer not to have to pay for this but I don’t want to risk damaging the car.
Comments
-
Probably best to post a close up picture.
1 -
This is the one that is not hanging off. The other one had no screws left at the top.
0 -
As above, a picture is worth 1000 words.
But you say it's got a square in the head - square or hexagon? I'm thinking maybe a standard Allen head? Either that, or it may be one of those pop-out clips rather than a screw? They're very common on many trim parts.
0 -
Allen key possibly but more likely star/torx bit.
1 -
Thank you. I might have an Allen key somewhere so I’ll try that. In the photo, they look round rather than square but maybe that’s just rust.
0 -
You get Security Torx and TTap that are similarish but have a post in the middle but in both cases the post is round not square.
Never heard of any screw with a square post in the middle, in theory someone could have created something but for securing mudflaps its sounding a lot of cost and inconvenience for no benefit
1 -
If you don't have the right torx tool, cut a slot in the head and use a screwdriver.
0 -
They look suspiciously like torx fittings.
1 -
They USED TO BE Torx, but now they're… well, scrap.
Cut 'em off.1 -
Most likely torx T20 but they are a bit rusty. For best chance of getting them out without rounding them off scrape out any muck with a Sharpe pick before inserting the torx bit.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

