We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Issue returning online orders on time due to no reply from retailer.

I'm currently in a situation with Debenhams' online site. I ordered 6 items together on one order & needed to return some of these items. About half of the Returns went smoothly, but the other half had various issues which I couldn't resolve on my own.

I immediately contacted their Customer Services Department by email (no phone number available). Other than being informed that my email explaining the issues in detail, has been escalated, I have had no response. Many days have since passed with no response, even though I have emailed every day (due to further issues). This has taken me outside of the Returns Window.

I'm panicking now that they won't accept my outstanding Returns due to the lack of response from Debenhams Customer Services. I can't afford to lose the amount of money involved, but don't know my rights.
Can someone advise me on my rights or the best way to deal with this?
Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Comments

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,158
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 20 May at 11:26AM

    Who paid for the return?

    How many returned, Were they all in same return package, given this was one order?

    Did you get any tracking & know that they have been delivered?

    Any paperwork with the returns?

    Life in the slow lane
  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,255
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Under the CCR you have 14 days to notify them of your intent to return from the date you received them and then a further 14 days from the date of notification to actually return them. If it's using their provided service then return is considered to happen when you hand the goods over.

    What are the problems you are having?

  • catpur999
    catpur999 Posts: 4
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Newbie

    Based on your comments, it seems I haven't made myself clear. Apologies for that.

    In simple terms......

    1 order

    7 items

    1 item - kept, no return necessary.

    3 items - returned with no issues.

    3 items - tried to return these but each item has a different issue so I couldn't return them.

    No Customer Services phone number available.

    PROBLEM A

    Emailed Debenhams explaining the problems I had experienced. Was told the issue would be escalated. Since then, I haven't received any solutions to each of the issues & only minimum automated contact.

    PROBLEM B - the biggest problem!

    Whilst waiting for a solution, the Returns Window has closed. I'm concerned they will tell me I can no longer return the items & therefore won't get a refund. The total value is approx. £500, which I can't afford to lose.

    QUESTION:

    Do anyone know my rights in this grey area of the Returns Process, please?

    I'm extremely worried!

    Thanks in advance for your time.

  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 7,784
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Was this ever resolved?

    I ask because I placed and order with Debehams last week fully expecting it to arrive yesterday and have been met with deadly silence. On enquiring, it looks like the marketplace seller hasn't actually got off their backside to send it. Possibly the hit for accepting free delivery over a certain expenditure🤔? Had I known, I would have preferred to pay postage.

    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

    So much to read, so little time.
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 3,685
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 15 July at 11:55AM

    When you placed the order, were you giving a specific delivery date?

    If not then the legislation just says that goods should be delivered without undue delay and within 30 days.

    If you were, and they have not met the date, then you can contact them to agree an alternative (reasonable) delivery date. If they do not meet the new delivery date, then you can consider the contract ended and they should refund you in full.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.