We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Retailer has still not refunded me : Section 75 claim?

incesticde
incesticde Posts: 468 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 19 May at 6:25PM in Credit cards

Hi all,

(Apols this is a long one! TLDR at the end)

I bought a mattress from a well known company about four years ago. Mattress developed a dip in the middle so I contacted them (as I had a 10 year guarantee) and they agreed it was a defect and offered me a refund. So far so good

Since that time I have had to :

(a) Prove that had paid the amount in full as their system showed me owing about two thirds of the amount, I gave them copy of the purchase email sent by them when I purchased and that somehow wasn't sufficient and I needed to give them a copy of my credit card statement from four years ago. They also would not give me any details of why their own receipt wasn't good enough nor offer any proof I had owed them £300 for four years.

After that process (which took three weeks) they said they would arrange a collection in the next 3 to 5 working days.

We are now at three weeks since the arranging collection email and still no collection has been arranged due to issues they have with their collection partners.

Numerous chase emails just give the same "We are working hard to organise this collection"

Even if that collection was tomorrow I would then have to wait 15(!) working days for the refund to be processed.

So, Can I raise a section 75 on my credit card (Nationwide Select) to get my refund now instead of wasting more time waiting for this company to get its act together? Shirley (sic) two months is long enough to wait for a refund?

Thanks for getting to the end of this !

TLDR : Mattress company haven't refunded me after two months, can I raise a Section 75 claim?

"I don't want to sound cold and un-caring, but I am those things so that's the way it comes out" - Bill Hicks

Comments

  • Teddy08
    Teddy08 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary

    Good luck with your claim

    I was offered £50 for a mattress that was not firm as stated and seriously dipped on edges

    Two months ago and still waiting

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,127 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    You can. But do not expect it to be quick.

    As the co have said they are dealing CC will ride on the back of that.

    What are the Warranty T/C on any refunds & amounts, as this is going to be a important point to prove breach of contract &/or misrepresentation.

    Life in the slow lane
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.