We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including number plates, reference numbers and QR codes (which may reveal vehicle information when scanned).
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Horizon & Gladstones. Received a LBC!

I’m looking for some advice regarding a private parking charge that has now reached Letter Before Claim stage.

The incident took place on 21 April 2025 at Tesco Gallows Corner, Romford. The parking company is Horizon Parking and the solicitors are Gladstones.

The vehicle was parked in a disabled bay while shopping at Tesco with a family member who is a valid Blue Badge holder and was present in the vehicle at the time. However, the Blue Badge was not displayed.

Important points:

  • I did not receive the original PCN or any prior correspondence, so I had no opportunity to appeal earlier.
  • The matter only came to my attention after receiving a Letter Before Claim from Gladstones.
  • Horizon are now pursuing £150 including an added £70 “debt recovery” charge.
  • I requested:
  1. signage evidence
  2. landowner authority
  3. breakdown of costs

Gladstones refused to provide the landowner agreement, claiming it is commercially sensitive.

  • The signage photos they eventually provided are undated / not timestamped and appear historical/generic rather than proving signage on the date of the alleged contravention.
  • Tesco customer services initially engaged but ultimately refused to intervene, repeatedly stating they could not assist once the matter had reached “debt recovery/legal stage.”
  • I have now discovered the Private Parking Sector Single Code of Practice Annex F.3(e), which says that where a valid Blue Badge holder was present but the badge was not displayed, this should be treated as mitigating circumstances warranting reduction of the charge.

I have not yet received a County Court claim form, only the Letter Before Claim.

I’m trying to understand:

  1. How strong/weak my defence position is
  2. Whether the Annex F guidance is likely to help
  3. Whether the undated signage evidence is a meaningful point
  4. Whether I should now stop corresponding and simply wait for a claim form
  5. Whether there is anything else I should be doing at this stage

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

  • Gr1pr
    Gr1pr Posts: 16,135 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    My advice is, study the 2nd post in the newbies sticky thread in announcements near the top of the forum

    Respond to Gladstones using the LoC template response by email

    Wait for the court claim N1SDT claim pack to arrive in the post from the CNBC in Northampton using MCOL in due course

    Do nothing else, dont overthink this saga

  • thank you for your speedy response! I have already sent them the template as suggested on the thread and received a very generic response saying “we confirm we will not accept any further submissions from you”… so I’ve just left them to it :)

  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 165,699 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 19 May at 8:04PM

    You really are best advised to send Gladstones & Horizon a pic of the Blue Badge right now though of course.

    This much is obvious to me really.

    It won't stop the claim but you need to give them the chance to cancel, which MASSIVELY improves your stance as Defendant later.

    What could stop the whole thing is retail park complaint of course. Plan A in the NEWBIES thread, complaining of harassment of a disabled person & carer.

    Never too late and often very easy.

    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top or bottom of any page where it says:
    Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • thank you for getting back to me, I have already sent them a picture of the blue badge when I originally replied to the LBC- that’s when they replied saying they will no longer speak with me…

    I shall have a look at the retail park complaint. Although Tesco were extremely unhelpful when I originally contacted them a few weeks back!

  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 165,699 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 19 May at 10:44PM

    Try again using Whatsapp with words like 'discrimination and harassment of a disabled person & carer, and Tesco is jointly and severally liable for this Equality Act breach'.

    The Tesco Head Office WhatsApp number was posted in SUCCESSFUL COMPLAINTS last week by @DjangoUnchained

    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top or bottom of any page where it says:
    Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • thank you!

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.