We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Tom Tom Live Traffic renewal ,
Have just had the renewal for Tom Tom Live traffic , has gone up from £17 to £29 which is a huge increase , not sure how they justify it , was thinking of running Waze as well and not bothering to renew . I would just use Waze , but I've got an Aussie guy on the sat nav , who's amusing ,
Comments
-
I'm not sure I'd pay just to get an amusing voice. I use Waze , works very well for me , recently moved from Google maps (which I thought was good) but Google constantly didn't pick up a closed road local to me, whereas Waze did.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.0 -
They do not need to "justify" it, if you want it then pay, if you do not then use Google Maps (or Waze) for free.
0 -
Google own Waze (as of 2013!) so weird they don't cross report, as it's down to user submissions I guess Waze just has more.
Sam Vimes' Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness:
People are rich because they spend less money. A poor man buys $10 boots that last a season or two before he's walking in wet shoes and has to buy another pair. A rich man buys $50 boots that are made better and give him 10 years of dry feet. The poor man has spent $100 over those 10 years and still has wet feet.
0 -
How much does waze cost? google maps is free on my phone. got sat nav built in to my car, (peugeot) but its not live, so it needs updating and has to be done at the dealer.
0 -
I believe that's how the local issue is occuring. The road has an issue, but is technically 'open' but when it closes (as it does regularly) then the reports from people actually trying to use the road update quicker than the google maps pick up.
However we have used both Google maps and Waze on the same journey (we aren't techie so we had one on each phone to see what we found easier to use) and they had different routes on more than one occasion, with Waze seemingly taking us round a problem.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.0 -
I use Waze on my phone and it's free.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.0 -
The one problem I have with these apps is that by the time you find out about a problem and have an alternative route, so do a hundred other people so the shortcut usually becomes a similar crawl along back roads full of everyone else. Unless it's a road closure for a major accident I suspect a good chunk of the time you would be quicker just waiting in the heavy traffic!
Sam Vimes' Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness:
People are rich because they spend less money. A poor man buys $10 boots that last a season or two before he's walking in wet shoes and has to buy another pair. A rich man buys $50 boots that are made better and give him 10 years of dry feet. The poor man has spent $100 over those 10 years and still has wet feet.
0 -
Have just had the renewal for Tom Tom Live traffic , has gone up from £17 to £29 which is a huge increase , not sure how they justify it
Is your TomTom a standalone unit or is it built in to your car?
If standalone, how old is it? Any special features that you're especially fond of?
I bought a secondhand Tomtom Go Essential (I think that's the model) from eBay for ~£40 and it includes lifetime Euro maps and live traffic. No extra charges.
N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.0 -
Just watch the "Lifetime" is the lifetime of the device & it's ability (Memory space) to take ne updates.
Waze all the way here.
Life in the slow lane0 -
TomTom have a free app with traffic called TomTom Maps and Traffic.
If you prefer a physical standalone satnav then all their current range comes with free lifetime Traffic.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


