We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Medical Insurance Canada

I am going to Canada for 2 weeks holiday shortly. For travel insurance, I have been quoted between pound 420 and pound 650 from UK insurers The only insurance I'm interested in having his medical emergencies. A Canadian comparison site has thrown up a $CAN1m worth of cover for about $CAN200 (just over £100)

Is there any gotcha that should make me not take the Canadian insurance?

I have an Allclear annual policy which does not cover North America. When I asked to extend it, I was quoted over £600. I am 72 with some pre-existing, fully treated medical conditions and in good health. I have cycled over 400 miles in the last two weeks, for instance.

The Canadian policies. I am looking at would rule me out with certain conditions I don't have. For the rest you just have to declare that you have been "stable" for 180 days, which I am. These policies seem mainly aimed at insuring elderly relatives visiting Canada based expatriates. All visitors have to pay for emergency treatments in Canada.

Comments

  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,302 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper

    Are ypou visiting relatives?

    What about repatriation if you are unable to travel home by normal meams?

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,463 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    I'd wonder if the level of coverage (CA$1M) was enough?

    I know that it is often quoted that a heart attack and a week of intensive care in the US will often hit US$1M but I don't know if it's a valid comparator to CAN medical costs.

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,226 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    For most insurances you have to be a resident in the country the insurer is based is so make sure they are aware and comfortable with you being uk based as they will need a license to sell insurance in the UK

    Are you aware of what it covers you for? Private Medical insurance in Canada is very different to the UK and USA because they have province level public health like the NHS but their laws say you can't buy insurance to cover things their public health does so no queue jumping, no paying for your MRI but instead it gives you a better room in the state hospital etc.

    Domestic travel insurance is popular in Canada but thats because of how cross province funding works can result in some shortfall so if your province says a hip replacement is $25,000 but you need an emergency one in a different province that costs $30,000 then your state will pay their standard rate and you or your domestic travel insurance pays the remaining $5,000

    If you are looking at a US policy then be aware of deductibles and co-pay terms, some you may be paying the first $5,000 of any claim and up to 25% of anything above that.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.