We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Section 20
Some works mentioned on the section 20 I've received are actually the responsibility of the leaseholder, do I mention this on the consultation? Can we be forced to pay for work required for flats owned by other leaseholders?
Comments
-
In certain circumstances, work deemed necessary can be billed to the leaseholders, if they have the obligation to pay. If they can't won't pay then the freeholder can do the work at a cost to all the leaseholders and seek reimbursement from the errant leaseholders. At worst they can try and force relinquishing the lease, but most often it is a case of registering a charge against the lease, so that they get the money back when the property is sold, or chasing the mortgage lender for reimbursement.
So it is possible in theory, but eventually the costs are born by the leaseholders and returned to the central funds.
If the freeholder/ managing agent aren't aware that the costs should be born by the leaseholders, you should definitely point this out.
I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.1 -
I'm in dialogue with my MA at the moment as they issued a Section 20 for works which I am sure are the responsibility of individual leaseholders.
I know how to read a lease. They are now taking legal advice apparently.
0 -
slipthru said
Some works mentioned on the section 20 I've received are actually the responsibility of the leaseholder, do I mention this on the consultation?
Yes - you should state this as part of your observations during the section 20 process, to give the freeholder/management company the opportunity to investigate it.
Ultimately, you might want to challenge the Service Charge bill at a tribunal, if you're being asked to wrongly pay for stuff. And tribunals often expect you to have raised the issue with the freeholder/management company during the consultation.
slipthru said
Can we be forced to pay for work required for flats owned by other leaseholders?
You can only be forced to pay for work that your lease says you must pay for.
1 -
Hopefully it gets resolved quickly. It's crazy they need to take legal advice.
I've responded to them now and added screenshots of the relevant sections of the lease to so hopefully they, will check now.
I did actually email them a few months ago showing them it was my responsibility as I want to get my windows draft proofed and balanced correctly, but they said they couldn't check the lease at that time.
In Progress!!!0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
