We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including number plates, reference numbers and QR codes (which may reveal vehicle information when scanned).
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

PCN for Lease Car

Hi all,

I've read through the newbies sticky but only after submitting an appeal directly to the operator, so I'm not 100% sure I can use any of the templates from Edna Basher at this stage.

I lease a car through my company (I'm one of the directors) via Lex Autolease.

I was forwarded the NTK (Contravention date 29 Match, Issue Date 1 April) by Lex Autolease by post a few days afterwards, the reason given was "Payment not made in accordance with notified terms)" It also states the contravention took place between 15.10 and 19.03.

On 29 March, I paid for consecutive 2 sessions of parking at Shree Sanatan Mandir in Wembley. Once for 2 hours at 15.16 (6 minutes after they allege the contravention took place - from memory I was on a phone call as I entered the car park and may have only paid for the parking once the call was finished), and again for another 2 hours at 17.14, just before the initial session had expired. This took my parking through to 19.14, 11 minutes after I left the car park

I appealed directly to Civil Enforcement (CE Service) with screenshots of the payments from my Online banking / Google Wallet and on 7 May they rejected my appeal (on a letter addressed directly to me) on the basis that "The payment made did not cover the full duration of stay and the vehicle remained parked beyond the time
permitted. It is the responsibility of the driver to ensure they adhere to the parking terms."

I have the option of appealing to POPLA but am unsure of what to state on my appeal other than that what I wrote on my initial appeal which contained the screenshots of payment.

I realise I should have checked this thread before submitting my initial appeal but I'd appreciate any advice, and apologies in advance if I could just use one Edna Basher's templates but I am unsure if I could do so in this case.

Thanks

Comments

  • Gr1pr
    Gr1pr Posts: 16,222 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 17 May at 2:54PM

    Did you appeal as hirer or lessee, or as the driver. ? ( you should have either waited for the NtH to arrive in the post ) or used an Edna Basher appeal template as hirer on or around day 26. )

    I assume that the time on site was 3 hours, 53 minutes. ? But you paid in full for 4 hours in total , before leaving, nevermind the minimum 10 minutes grace period to leave as well

  • drunknmunky
    drunknmunky Posts: 174 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I appealed as the lessee (As I am leasing the car from Lex) rather than as the driver. I did pay for 4 hours in total with no gaps in between, however I was on a phone call as I entered the car park and only paid at 15.16, and they noted the contravention began at 15.10 (I'm unsure of how long the grace period is to pay after you enter the car park).

  • Gr1pr
    Gr1pr Posts: 16,222 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 17 May at 3:46PM

    As long as full payment was made before leaving the location, payment ASAP was banned over a year ago

    Read ANNEX F1.j in the CoP

    Have you checked the joint Code of Practice. ?

    Also, if you didn't reveal who was driving then they failed Pofa2012 in regards to transferring liability from the driver to the hirer

    Read what coupon mad said below

  • drunknmunky
    drunknmunky Posts: 174 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Thanks for your reply. Are you referring to Civil Enforcements code of practice? If so, they don't appear to have one on their website.

    If they've failed pofa2012, should I still appeal to POPLA?

  • Gr1pr
    Gr1pr Posts: 16,222 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    The current Joint Code of Practice is agreed between the BPA and the IAS, so is on both websites ( not CEL )

    Yes you should appeal to POPLA, with a suitably worded POPLA appeal

  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 165,793 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    It sounds like you said "I paid" in the appeal. Did you? Aaargh!

    So easy to win at POPLA as hirer.

    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top or bottom of any page where it says:
    Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • drunknmunky
    drunknmunky Posts: 174 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 17 May at 10:03PM

    Frustratingly I didn't keep a copy of my appeal and I don't think they'll offer me a copy of my appeal either. I've really not played this very well so far, however I don't think I mentioned "I paid", but simply "payment was made". I hope!

  • drunknmunky
    drunknmunky Posts: 174 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Thanks for all your support and comments so far. When you say "a suitably worded appeal to POPLA" would you recommend I simply repeat that payment was made and invoice the screenshots of the payments, or use a standard POPLA template (Of which I can't find a suitable one given the nature of that way I've responded to the appeal so far).

  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 165,793 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Just search the forum for:

    POPLA Hirer appeal

    and change to NEWEST, then go through the newest results to find one actually posted and completed (won).

    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top or bottom of any page where it says:
    Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.