We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Car insurance enquiry

I called my insurance company, to ask if lost car keys are covered. I had been quoted £150 to replace a key that needs to be calibrated to my car.

I had read through their literature and couldn't find keys mentioned.

They told me that whole locks are covered but car keys alone are not and I didn't need to replace my locks, so for me it was only an enquiry.

I then received a claim number and an additional cost to my premium.

I have challenged this but for them an enquiry when a key has been lost constitues a claim.

They say the security of my car has been put at risk.

Comments

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,468 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Probably needs moving to Motoring or Insurance, but in any case…

    So?

    Bit surprised that the premium can be increased immediately, normally happens at renewal.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.