We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including number plates, reference numbers and QR codes (which may reveal vehicle information when scanned).
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Parking Charge Notice - Think I've messed up!

Hi,

I recently got a PCN from CP plus asking me to pay £100 fine discounted to £60, if i pay within 14 days, for not registering my vehicle when attending the gym group (they have an internal tablet that lets you register your car for that day).

This is a gym I frequent semi-regularly and have had no issues prior, on this occasion my gym access was locked out - despite being able to access other gyms (ultimate membership). This then resulted in me trying to ring the gym group to gain access, chat log on their app and also send an email asking for assistance, all the while sat in the car park. With no luck, I left after 25 minutes, it was late evening and I was up early for work anyway.

Cue the PCN, without knowing about these forums I'd already decided to appeal to CP plus as I think my reasoning is sound and their actions are predatory. The appeal has since been rejected with my next hope being the Gym group may help before POPLA. However I am aware I've missed the ability to wait the 28 days to tie up CP with an appeal and forgetting to send the NTK.

What are my options now, have I messed up my chances of getting the case dropped?

I'm continuing to read the threads here, I just wondered if my case was different considering mitigating circamstances and how I've proceeded.

Thanks in advance

Comments

  • GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 2,370 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Others will comment later but as far as parking companies are concerned there are no such things as mitigating circumstances.

  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 165,699 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    You already had a NTK, surely?

    Unless you can gather evidence that the tablet is hidden without a big sign next to it (which could work at POPLA) just ignore it.

    Don't try POPLA and certainly don't pay.

    See the NEWBIES thread post 4.

    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top or bottom of any page where it says:
    Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Chagawanga
    Chagawanga Posts: 4 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post

    It’s the fact I wasnt able to access the tablet to register my vehicle, which then prevents the parking charge. Because I couldn’t access the gym, there is no external tablet to do so.

    I’ve just had a letter regarding payment, but I thought NTK was sent after the 14 days were up and they were chasing payment?

  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 165,699 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 15 May at 3:14PM

    No, the NTK is of course (because the NEWBIES thread tells everyone this) the first letter (sometime headed 'PCN'). Nothing to do with subsequent letters chasing payment.

    You'll never have to pay.

    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top or bottom of any page where it says:
    Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Chagawanga
    Chagawanga Posts: 4 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post

    Got you, thanks for the clarity - do you suppose I should try with The Gym Group next? Popla? Or just ignore repeatedly.

  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 165,699 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 15 May at 3:40PM

    I already answered that above. I went into a fair bit of detail about what works at POPLA and otherwise not to bother.

    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top or bottom of any page where it says:
    Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Chagawanga
    Chagawanga Posts: 4 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post

    Roger apologies you have! I guess "Newbie" fits my postion.

    Thanks for your time.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.